PDA

View Full Version : Building a better bond to allow petting?

takaaaa
01-11-2014, 03:40 AM
Greetings
So I have two Lutinos that were handfed (but became untame) and are now a year and few week old.
I started taming them for about 3weeks now and from the very first day, they would fly and step-up onto my finger and let me give them millet from between my fingers. After 1week they could do multiple step ups and if I stood near the stand they will just fly on my shoulder or arm (looking for treats of course).

Now for 2weeks I have been trying to allow them to bond/trust me enough to pet them. But when I move my hand slowly towards them, they shuffle/fly away. And when they perch on my finger and I try to slowly pet them, they fly back to the stand.
I know it takes time and every lovebird is different, but maybe there's some exercises designed specifically for petting?

What are some things/routines I can do with them, to slowly allow them to trust me enough to pet them?

Thank you

longobongo
01-11-2014, 02:56 PM
I really wanted my female, Bailey to let me pet her, so I took her in an area away from her cage. It took a lot of time, but working with her in an environment that she wasn't 100% comfortable with helped a lot. I saw a lot more progress taking her into the shower, as well. When the bird is in an environment where their cage is not an option, you become their "safety," I was told. So they're more willing to have things "your way," (if there is such a thing!)

linda040899
01-11-2014, 04:02 PM
I know it takes time and every lovebird is different, but maybe there's some exercises designed specifically for petting?

What are some things/routines I can do with them, to slowly allow them to trust me enough to pet them?
Each bird is different and some just don't like to be petted. Petting can be sexually stimulating to hens to it may also not be a good idea. Ginger (CAG) has been with me for 22 years and does not like to be touched to this day! I respect that and we have a great interactive relationship, just hands off. :)

takaaaa
01-11-2014, 05:39 PM
I really wanted my female, Bailey to let me pet her, so I took her in an area away from her cage. It took a lot of time, but working with her in an environment that she wasn't 100% comfortable with helped a lot. I saw a lot more progress taking her into the shower, as well. When the bird is in an environment where their cage is not an option, you become their "safety," I was told. So they're more willing to have things "your way," (if there is such a thing!)

That makes sense. I will give it a try and see how they react to it. They use to love being petted when they were around 6-8weeks old and would start to fall asleep when you rub their necks. It was too adorable

Maxie
01-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Max won't let me scratch or pet him. I can kiss him but he doesn't like to be touched :( I've only had him for less than two months though so it's still work in progress…lol. He'll jump on my hands, fall asleep on them too but everything is on his terms. I do as he says…lol.