PDA

View Full Version : 5 week old tame lovebird biting when let out the cage

Liebe
01-23-2014, 01:45 AM
Hi there,

I've had my lovebird for about a week now, he's an absolute sweetheart...when he's full.
If I take him out the cage and it's just to cuddle or play he tends to bite me, almost intentionally harder each time.

Yet if I take him out, feed him he'll then cuddle up against my neck and have a doze or just hang out a bit.

Problem is, I take him out in the morning for his first feed, around lunch time for his second (trying to cut this one out so he'll try his seeds and veg) and dinner time. If I try remove the second feeding (lunch time) and take him out to have some time out the cage he keeps nipping at me until he has eaten and then is fine but thing is I also don't want him to only come out the cage for food.

How would you handle this?

linda040899
01-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! We are happy to have you with us. :)

The biting/nipping is his way of telling you he's hungry and you need to feed him. Once he's been fed and his brain realizes that there's food in the crop, he'll settle right down. Parent raised lovebirds are completely weaned and eating on their own by the time they are 8 weeks old. Hand fed can take several weeks longer than that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's not ready to wean or he would be sampling what you are offering. And that's OK. He needs to become confident in his ability to eat enough to keep himself alive. Remember, to him, no food or not enough means death. Take things at his pace and you will have a much better adjusted youngster than if you try to set the schedule for him.

He sounds like a real sweetheart!

Liebe
01-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks so much for getting back to me :)
I took him out the cage for two additional cuddle sessions today in-between meals and no biting, so it's definitely linked to feed times.

Going to take your advice and just take it slow!

linda040899
01-23-2014, 10:04 AM
:) :) :) :)
Sometimes understanding what they are trying to tell us is the biggest part of the battle! Lovebirds are very social parrots so the cuddling is very important for him. He's away from everything familiar and dependent on you for his care. Being close to you gives him a chance to relax and feel safe. Trust is the most important part of the human/parrot relationship. I've heard the term parrots become bonded with their humans. I think it's more like the human becomes accepted as part of the flock...... They mold us into becoming the perfect human slave who will do just about anything for a fellow flock member!