PDA

View Full Version : Bad Dreams?

Tallyollyopia
01-30-2014, 01:32 AM
For the past few nights one of my two peach-faced lovebirds, Gully, has been waking up with loud chirping squawks. I've been turning on the light, lifting the cover to the cage, and chirping back softly until he (she?) relaxes slightly. (They never relax fully in my presence.) Am I doing the right thing?

linda040899
01-30-2014, 06:19 AM
Yes. They are in a new home and are still afflicting. Feeling safe is a big thing for them and reassurance will certainly help.

Elle
01-30-2014, 07:44 PM
You can use a night light and leave one side of the care uncovered for a little while until they get used to their new environment. There is also a night light for birds that you can purchase. http://www.featherbrite.com/featherbrite-moonlight-bulb.html.

Tallyollyopia
01-30-2014, 07:54 PM
I've had them since September. And I can't leave part of the cover off all night; the cover is heated and it's cold at night here. (I've been careful not to turn the heat up too high.)

Tallyollyopia
03-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Okay, I've officially had the birds for seven months now, and my bird Gully is STILL having nightmares. Is there anything I can do?

Lovie
03-25-2014, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure if any of these suggestions will work for you, but....
1. Use a nightlight (like some others have suggested).
2. Get a thinner blanket (it might help Gully be less scared). If Gully wakes up, at least it can see *some* things.

If these things don't/won't work for you, please let us know. It also might help to know a little more about Gully's life (its environment, where it sleeps, etc.). I really hope Gully will be able to sleep more soundly!

michael
03-26-2014, 06:43 AM
Okay, I've officially had the birds for seven months now, and my bird Gully is STILL having nightmares. Is there anything I can do?

Even though their environment is cold there may still be a chance the heating blanket is building up too much heat. Have you thought about utilizing other alternative heat sources i.e, Avitech ceramic heat lamps, heat panels, or heated perches? That some birds simply will not adhere to being covered at night, this in turn might help solve the fright issue. .. There are of course other reasons that may interrupt a parrots sleep pattern. Keeping birds in the same room with their owners, or near a window which allows them to hear outdoor night life can also cause problems. As well, something as simple as putting them to bed too early is yet another reason which may cause restlessness. .. Wish you/Gully luck! ........:)

Tallyollyopia
03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
What, exactly, is a heated perch? I couldn't do the other options, because there's nothing close enough to the cage to mount them to, and I was afraid that if I put them directly ON the cage the bars would get too hot and might accidentally burn the birds.

Lovie
03-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm guessing it'd be something like this: http://www.amazon.com/K-H-Thermo-Perch-Small/dp/B000795ZE0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The problem with that, though, is that it has potential to burn a bird's feet, which concerns me a little (I'm sorry for answering for you, michael, I was curious about the perch myself).

michael
03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
What, exactly, is a heated perch? I couldn't do the other options, because there's nothing close enough to the cage to mount them to, and I was afraid that if I put them directly ON the cage the bars would get too hot and might accidentally burn the birds.

I'm guessing it'd be something like this: http://www.amazon.com/K-H-Thermo-Perch-Small/dp/B000795ZE0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The problem with that, though, is that it has potential to burn a bird's feet, which concerns me a little (I'm sorry for answering for you, michael, I was curious about the perch myself).

Sorry I didn't respond sooner as I was currently working. At any rate, yes, the perch shown by Lovie (thank you Lovie!) was similar to what I had refered to earlier. And yes, there have been certain models that have had the potential to burn a birds feet. However, there are certain companies who manufacture perches that are extremely safe. One in particular recommended by Flock Leader Linda was this one > http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10899&ref=4069&subref=AA&mkwid=SsPYHoUGY|pcrid|8527100121&cmpid=PPC-_-G-_-4069

Tallyollyopia
03-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Well, for the moment I tried getting a lighter cage cover for the night (it's thinner) and that seems to be helping. I haven't been able to find the heated perch in any store though (I can't use Amazon, because I don't have a credit card).