PDA

View Full Version : Screaming and Biting

Lovie
02-09-2014, 12:08 AM
My less-than-three month old lovebird has been with me for about a week. At the beginning, it was really sweet, hardly ever doing anything bad. Recently, though, it's been screaming for no reason, getting tangled in my hair, and biting me really hard.

I ignore it when it's screaming, and praise it if--if--it quiets down. I keep it out of my hair. I tried verbally scolding it, but it just kept biting, so I started gently flicking it (that's what the man at the pet store said to do). I then held its beak gently closed and said, "No biting." Nothing works.

I'm starting to really hate my birdie sometimes... help me.

Maxie
02-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

You've only had your lovebird for a week. Give him time to adjust to his new surroundings. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will he be tamed in a day. I wouldn't flick him or scold him…just let him be. Sit on the floor and put the cage beside you with him in it. This is what I did in the beginning. Imagine if you were taken to a house full of giant people…wouldn't you be scared of giant hands trying to touch you? I know I would and I would bite to protect myself until I built a trusting bond with these giants.

I've had Max for only two and a half months and he was afraid of my hands and would bite me too but I was patient and now he doesn't want to come off my hands. People on this forum are very nice, very helpful and very experienced. Read through older posts on behaviour and taming…it will help.

Just be patient…be kind…and be lovingly sweet no matter what he does. Eventually, he'll come to trust you and when that happens, it's the best feeling in the world.

linda040899
02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Just be patient…be kind…and be lovingly sweet no matter what he does. Eventually, he'll come to trust you and when that happens, it's the best feeling in the world.
This sums it up in a nutshell. Patience, patience and when you think you've run out of patience, dig deeper and find a bit more.

Lovie
02-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Maxie: My bird seems to already be used to its surroundings (it loves to explore everything), so it's probably not that. It was handfed and well-raised by a really nice man, too. It loves being on my hands (and it always tries to get into my hair or on my neck). Thank you, though, so much for your information. I'll try to be patient. :)

linda040899: I'll do my very best. :)

longobongo
02-09-2014, 02:04 PM
I would give him time to adjust, even if he does seem like he's adjusted well. Is there anything consistent about his screaming? Does he scream mostly when you're not in sight? Unfortunately our birdy babies can't communicate what they want to us, so they resort to things like screaming and biting. Do you know exactly how old your lovebird is, how many weeks, I mean? Sometimes lovebirds are sold right after they're weaned, and the transition can cause them to regress to needing to be hand-fed for a little while. I would just continue to spend time with him however he would prefer, whether that be sitting and having a snack by his cage or reading beside him, or talking to him quietly, or even just leaving him be sometimes. Good luck with your new baby!

Lovie
02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
My bird will scream when it's with me, when it isn't, when it's in its cage, when it's out... so there isn't anything consistent, sadly.

I know an approximate age, but not exactly how many weeks. I'm partially weaning it myself, so I handfeed it when I can.

Thank you, longobongo!

Z28Taxman
02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Scolding a parrot is an excersize in futility. They see it as attention and it will reinforce what your trying to stop. Yelling is even worse because he'll see it as a contest of who can be louder (and you'll lose). Ditto loves shouting matches and we have a screamfest daily. My neighbors probably thing I'm nuts but it keeps Ditto happy!

Lovie
02-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Z28Taxman, thank you for your thoughts. :) I'll try not to scold it.