PDA

View Full Version : Wandering and Screaming

Lovie
02-09-2014, 09:11 PM
My lovebird is less than three months old, and it has been with me for a little over a week.

Every afternoon or evening, it starts screaming (not just chirping, but nonstop screaming) and wandering around like it is looking for a mate or another bird. It isn't hungry, thirsty, bored, or needing attention.

It *did* have a cagemate, back in the store, so it probably is missing its friend, but...

How do I stop it, or what do I do?

michael
02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Changes in their environment such as entering an unfamiliar new home is reason enough for a young lovebird to increase its vocalization and other such odd behavior. Add to this your little friend has also lost a flockmate and there's bound to be at least some negative response. .. While there can be other reasons besides these such as cage location, outside noises etc, that are causing or contributing towards the distress, more than likely your lovebird is just scared and in turn is attempting to locate its original flock mate/s. .. There are a number of methods to help minimize negative behavior, but for new birds, I would begin by spending short sessions with him/her, while at the same time allow her to acclimate to her new environment. .. Can you tell us how much time you spend with her on a daily basis? Have you worked on "step ups" yet? .........:)

Lovie
02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Changes in their environment such as entering an unfamiliar new home is reason enough for a young lovebird to increase its vocalization and other such odd behavior. Add to this your little friend has also lost a flockmate and there's bound to be at least some negative response. .. While there can be other reasons besides these such as cage location, outside noises etc, that are causing or contributing towards the distress, more than likely your lovebird is just scared and in turn is attempting to locate its original flock mate/s. .. There are a number of methods to help minimize negative behavior, but for new birds, I would begin by spending short sessions with him/her, while at the same time allow her to acclimate to her new environment. .. Can you tell us how much time you spend with her on a daily basis? Have you worked on "step ups" yet? .........:)

My bird was handfed, so as soon as I got it, it would clamber all over my hands (and my shoulder). I spend as much time as possible, so on weekdays, it's probably about three hours at most. On the weekends, it's more, probably six or so.

Angloody
02-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I am also a new owner but would like to know the solution before hand. Does it mean we have to spend more time with them?

linda040899
02-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Lovebirds are very social and many times, the chirping/screaming is simply contact calls. You are out of sight so he/she is calling, waiting for a response if you are within earshot. Try vocalizing back and see if that helps.

Lovie
02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Lovebirds are very social and many times, the chirping/screaming is simply contact calls. You are out of sight so he/she is calling, waiting for a response if you are within earshot. Try vocalizing back and see if that helps.

If I do that, though, will my bird think that, if it screams, I will give it more attention? I don't want it to be screaming when I'm actually not at home.

linda040899
02-19-2014, 01:00 PM
He will learn your schedule and if you are gone at an odd time, you can actually tell him that you are going out and you will be back soon. When you come back, go say hello and let him know you are there. When I go out, things tend to be very quiet but you can hear the parrot calls the minute they recognize the sound of my vehicle pulling in the driveway. It's important to him to know that you are there and safe even though you are not visible.

Lovie
02-19-2014, 01:07 PM
He will learn your schedule and if you are gone at an odd time, you can actually tell him that you are going out and you will be back soon. When you come back, go say hello and let him know you are there. When I go out, things tend to be very quiet but you can hear the parrot calls the minute they recognize the sound of my vehicle pulling in the driveway. It's important to him to know that you are there and safe even though you are not visible.

Thank you. :) I will try to do that.