PDA

View Full Version : Gnats in the house

Mom2Bailey
10-29-2005, 10:20 AM
We have an infestation of gnats in our house. :mad: DH and I thought it was contained to our 55 gallon fish tank which is in our gameroom. Today while I was cleaning I noticed there are hundreds of dead gnats along the window sills in our dining room and kitchen. It's so strange because I haven't even seen any flying around. DH said he saw them flying around in the gameroom where the fish tank's located.

Bailey's cage is kept in the dining room. Do I have anything to worry about? I keep his food in a tightly sealed container. Any advice is very much appreciated!

Alyssa

BarbieH
10-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Bummer. I hate gnats!

The buggies themselves probably won't pose a risk to Bailey. However, you'll need to take care to protect him if you use chemical pesticides to clear up the problem -- like letting him stay at someone else's house until your problem is cleared up.

There are home remedies for gnats that don't use pesticides, but I don't know how effective they would be on a large-scale problem.

Good luck!

shylevon
10-30-2005, 12:00 AM
I had a gnat problem in my house recently. Well, I think they may have been fruit flies that multiplied out of control after Nereus had her cantilope bath. I'm pretty sure most of them were the offspring of Simon and Niomi, the fruit flies extraordinaire. Bred like flies, those two did.

I mixed some sugar in water and put lots of borax in the mix and put the tasty treat into shallow bowls where birdies can't get to it. I managed to kill them all off in a few days, and didn't have to go the chemical route. Borax will kill birdies too, so be careful if you decide to try this.

(I do miss Niomi. She was a sweet little fruit fly, she was. I think Nereus misses her, too.)