PDA

View Full Version : Trouble feeding baby lovebird

brandiec85
03-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Hello, I just adopted a beautiful baby lovebird that is 7 weeks old. The breeder said that he started eating on his own and was ready for his new home. I've had him for two days now, I've tried introducing a seed diet and spray millet to him. I don't think he's eaten yet. Should I be worried? And is there something I'm doing wrong? I don't want him to get sick from a lack of food. Please help!

linda040899
03-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Seven weeks is too young for a baby lovebird to go to a new home. :( He may have been eating for the breeder, but change in environment caused loss of confidence and he's going to need hand feeding. Did the breeder give you any formula? If so, your forumla could be too cool for his liking. Proper temperature should be 106F and use a thermometer to make sure you are ballpark around that number. You didn't say what species of lovebird you have but if it's a Fischer's, temperature needs to be 108F.

How are you trying to feed the baby? Taking him out of his cage? I usually take my babies into my kitchen, put them on a towel and just hold the syringe near where the beaks meet. Squeeze a bit of formula and if he's hungry, he should eat. If you don't have any luck, call the breeder and see if the baby can go back there for another week or so.

Please let me know what's going on.

brandiec85
03-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Linda,
He was raised by the parents and never had human interaction until I brought him home. So he's never been formula fed because the parents fed him. I am not sure why type of lovebird he is. The father was green in color and the mom was yellow. He's a greenish-blue color with a beautiful blue tail and his face/neck is very light in color.

longobongo
03-03-2014, 05:10 PM
You can tell what type of lovebird you have by the eyes. Fischer lovebirds have an "eye ring," I'll attach a picture to show you what I mean. Unfortunately I don't have much more advice to offer since I've never raised babies, Linda has a ton of experience and I'm sure she'll be around soon to help you out. You can pick up formula at a pet store (I've been told Kaytee is a brand to avoid), your best bet might be to contact the breeder and put the baby back with the parents as Linda suggested.

This is a Fischer's Lovebird: link! (http://www.birdsasart.com/rootjpegs/Fischer's-Lovebird-at-nest-hole-off-center-HORZ-_V5W7349--Fisherman's-Camp,-Lake-Naivasha,-Kenya.jpg) - Ignore the coloring, I'm referring to the ring around the bird's eye.

This is a Peachfaced Lovebird: link! (http://www.parrotspecies.org/uploads/7/4/5/9/7459389/9658052_orig.jpg) - This bird does not have the eye ring, like the bird above.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your baby :)

brandiec85
03-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Linda,
Would you mind emailing me at brandie.cielakie@gmail.com

The breeder lives 2 hours away, and I plan on picking up some formula from the pet store tomorrow to try feeding the bird. He does come out and loves sitting on my shoulder or my finger, he's very friendly and doesn't bite at all. I just don't want him to die of starvation

brandiec85
03-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Little update: I made up a batch of homemade formula and fed him a little bit of it. He wasn't sure what to do but what little he did get he seemed to really love it. We got a lot of snow today so I wasn't able to go out but I'm going to the pet store first thing tomorrow to get formula and the feeding supplies.

linda040899
03-04-2014, 11:02 AM
From what you've been telling me, this youngster was parent raised, human socialized and that's a wonderful thing! However, he's only used to getting food from mom or dad so it's understandable that he wouldn't quite know what to do if food is offered in another way. Even hand fed babies take time to learn to eat properly (for lack of a better term) from a syringe or spoon. To his advantage is that he's young and will catch on quickly!