PDA

View Full Version : Just adopted a 14 year old lovebird

ShereeRee
03-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone! I recently adopted a 14 year old lovebird from a family. I was wondering if birds can form a type of Parkinson's? He does this weird head turn shaking like motion while in the cage and outside of the cage. Almost like he has tunnel vision. Its not all the time, I would say 50% of the time he is doing this. I'm not too familiar with lovebirds and don't know if I should be concerned or not.
Also is stainless steel the only type of pan we can cook with? A coworker had said never to cook with Teflon. (so we havent which makes cooking hard, but do able if needed) I've had some birds in the past like parakeets and a cockatiel and my aunt had a cockatoo.

michael
03-05-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm not too sure what to say about the head motions. Could be anything from a mini stroke, to movements associated with normal regurgitation via attempts to feed a mate or other similar object of affection. Can you post a video by chance? .. In regards to the teflon coated pans.... Your friend gave you excellent advice. PTFE coatings are nothing to mess with. Death by overheated teflon coatings for birds is nothing short of torture. .. For more information, see link below....

http://www.oldworldaviaries.com/text/styles/teflon.html

ShereeRee
03-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks! Ill try to get a video.