PDA

View Full Version : Strange

Tallyollyopia
03-25-2014, 06:05 PM
I have two peach-faced lovebirds, Gully and Fern. Okay, this is going to sound--strange, but I've noticed some behavior changes in my birds that are alarming me, and I was wondering if they were...normal springtime behaviors, or something like that. First of all, my birds have changed their diet. I feed them a carefully calculated mix of pellets and seeds (with occasional Nutriberries thrown in with their toys to encourage foraging), and they've stopped eating their former favorite seeds, the sunflower seeds. Used to be that as soon as I refilled their food dish they would hunt out all the sunflower seeds and eat them on the spot. Now they throw them out of the cage. (Maybe they got tired of the taste?) The last time I let them out one of them (Gully) flew so hard into the window he momentarily stunned himself (he was fine) and attacked the blinds when I lowered them. (I haven't let them out since.) Fern has been--a little listless. (Previously she was using toys around the room to rub her bottom.) She's not moving as much, and her chirps aren't as--firm, as they usually are. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I had two new birds! Can someone tell me what's going on?

Tallyollyopia
04-02-2014, 07:38 AM
I don't know what was wrong with them, but whatever it was seems to be fixed now. They're back to normal. Still, I was worried that something was wrong.

michael
04-02-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't know what was wrong with them, but whatever it was seems to be fixed now. They're back to normal. Still, I was worried that something was wrong.

As daylight hours increase during the spring, so goes the likelyhood that changes in behavior and/or diet preferences might occur as a way to prepare for breeding. .. Its a thought anyways. .. What I am wondering though, is by your discription of Fern utilizing toys to rub her bottom, if in fact she might be a boy?

Tallyollyopia
04-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I have no idea. I know that Fern likes to rub her bottom on toys and that Gully rubs his(?) beak on things (usually his perch, but sometimes the mineral block). I'm not their first home, they were passed around Granma's church for a while, until she remembered that I like birds. (Of course, she's three quarters blind and doesn't think there's a difference between parakeets, which I previously had, and lovebirds, which I now have. I got a sexing kit in the mail, but I'm waiting on the results.

So, if they are breeding, what should I look for?

linda040899
04-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I've seen hens engage in sexual self satisfaction any number of times. First time I saw it, the lovebird was a known, proven breeding hen and she had created a ball from paper bedding to assist with what she was doing. Needless to say, I did a double take when I saw what was going on!

michael
04-02-2014, 03:46 PM
[snip].......So, if they are breeding, what should I look for?

Primarily I would look out for any suspicious lovebird construction activities. Then again, its not like lovebirds have to build a nest to lay their eggs, especially should they fall short of building supplies. Now, if you have two males, there's obviously not too much to worry about, however, even males tend to get a little aggressive during breeding seasons, so watch your fingers. If you've got two females, this could either equate to extra eggs, or lord knows what when it comes to behavior. I'm hoping though that these two have been together for awhile now? Yes? :pray: ... Finally, ifin you do have a male/female pair and are surprized with a new clutch of eggs, make sure that along with a healthy diet, the female has an adequate supply of calcium to help support the egg laying process. .. Most important, if you do have a male/female pair that are breeding, is to make the decision as to whether or not you can afford to care for and keep several more lovebirds (Enter NOT profit here). .. Should you decide against keeping several more lovebirds, or that it might add to the list of homeless parrots, the most humane options are to either boil her eggs or replace with fakes, then allow her to sit out the incubation period. Hope this helps a bit. ......:)

Tallyollyopia
04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Well, they don't seem to be constructing anything, and they've been together since they left their original aviary. (Their original breeder was, to say the least, neglectful. If he hadn't been, they wouldn't have been passed around the church. And I would know if they're bonded, but they've been together long enough that, I think, they would have killed each other if they weren't.) I've had them since the middle of September.

linda040899
04-03-2014, 01:03 PM
If I had to take a guess, sight unseen, it really sounds like you have 2 males. Absolutely no nesting behavior at all is usually a good visual sign that there is no interest in reproduction but there is sexual behavior, self satisfaction. I have males living together that are totally happy campers and they usually get along very well. I even have a trio of males that do very well together

Tallyollyopia
04-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Well, that would make sense. I'll keep an eye out for any nesting behavior to develop, but I'm hoping their both boys.