PDA

View Full Version : Should I take Birdie?

Lovie
05-02-2014, 09:25 PM
So, in a couple of years, I'll be heading to college. My question is... should I take Birdie? I would have to live on campus with roommates, and I have a few concerns:
1. To come back home to my family during college vacations, I would have to go through a lot to take Birdie back home with me.
2. My roommates could get so upset with Birdie that they would hate me or try to hurt it.
3. I would have to always make sure it's safe (though I could try to get into a dorm without an oven and away from dangerous appliances. I've found a few possibilities).
4. Would it just be too much trouble in general?

Um, okay. Here goes the really hard part... Birdie is actually an E.S.A. (emotional support animal) with documentation. I know not everyone believes E.S.A.s are real, but I honestly believe Birdie has helped me through a lot. I even created a Weebly site to talk about E.S.A.s... xD

ANYWAY, I'm sorry for the overabundance of information, but this is a question I've been trying to figure out for a while.

Maxie
05-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Hi Lovie,

I'm not sure it's a good idea to take Birdie with you to a college dorm, especially with room mates. Unless you know whom you're rooming with, I wouldn't take that chance. It could cause little Birdie a lot of stress. She's comfortable with you and your surroundings, imagine taking her out of her comfort zone into the chaos of a dorm? I know, I wouldn't be happy.

As for ESA's, I truly believe they help tremendously and I'm so happy to hear Birdie has help you :) Lovebirds are the sweetest and smartest of animals. Since I got Max, I feel a mutual unconditional love that I've never felt before. For me, he has truly been a gift from God :)

Lovie
05-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Thank you, Maxie. I'm so glad that Max has given you so much joy. :D

linda040899
05-04-2014, 01:21 PM
I've gone to college twice in my lifetime. Once I lived on campus. The second time, I opted to go to a 2 year college and then pursue completing a 4 year degree after that.

Living on campus did not work well for me, as I didn't get to choose a roommate. Get the wrong individual and life is far from pleasant!!!!! Mine was the wrong one and I had to tolerate a lot of things that were not compatible with my lifestyle. Every week-end, I packed a bag and hopped on a bus bound for home.

Years later, I enrolled in a local 2 year college to complete a 2 year degree and lived at home. My grades were Dean's List both years, as I could concentrate on what I needed to do for school and I didn't have to deal with people I didn't like. I found this second option to be attractive and considerably cheaper than going to a 4 year school.

Think carefully before you make a decision.

dmj64
05-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Good points presented; unknown roommates would be a major concern. A positive point I can make is that luvies travel well. I've done much traveling with my birds.

Mummieeva
05-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Given he is a helper animal I wonder if you could talk to adviser and make sure whoever you room with is ok with a bird? Given he has the papers you should fall under a disability act to make sure you and he are both safe and happy.

Lovie
05-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Linda, yes, I've been trying to figure things out, and it's so hard. Some days, I'm about to accept the fact that I need to figure out how to live without Birdie... but then something bad happens, and I go running back to the idea.

dmj64, I've never traveled with Birdie, but when it's in the car, it's pretty calm (except for occasional pacing).

Mummieeva, that's a good idea, and I'll look into it as I get closer..

But thank you, everyone, for helping me. This is so hard. :(

dmj64
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Lovie, be glad that you're not traveling by air, with your bird flying as cargo! I've done that, and it's no fun.