PDA

View Full Version : Is this process okay to tame parent raised birds?

Josiemv
05-16-2014, 11:46 AM
At 2 weeks I will take them out and put them on a towel and pet them and hold them everyday twice for 10 minutes. At 3 weeks ill do 4 10 minute sessioms at 4 weeks ill do 5-6 10 minute sessioms at 5 weeks ill increase it..amd ill keep doing this until reach 8 weeks and are weaned and then ill remove them and the nest box. I will tame them..decide which of the two to keep and gradually I introduce him to my other 2 lovebirds...when would be a good time to introduce the baby to the other 2 lovebirds?

Mummieeva
05-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I try to keep the time I take birds out short til they have alot of feathers. Holding and touching them is a great idea because they will see that hands are not bad. When introducing the new babies to your birds I would use cages first. Keeping new ones in cage and letting babies fly around. Then do the opposite with new ones in cage and older ones out. Remember there is no guarantee the birds will get along. So watch them very well. I wish you the best luck.

Josiemv
05-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks so much for the reply! (: is 10 minutes out too long? When they are 2 weeks ill only take them out twice and at 3 weeks like 3 times

Mummieeva
05-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Watch the babies. If they seem to be shivering then return to mom and dad. I think I took mine out for 5 minutes at a time til they got more feathers.

Josiemv
05-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Okay, got you and thank you..mmmm when do I remove them from the parents completely again? Like what should I look for in behavior ?

Mummieeva
05-17-2014, 06:45 AM
I can not give advice on that one. My baby lovie stayed with her mother (her father passed away when she was a few weeks old) til her mother passed. Whisper (baby) and her mom Baggy were tame. Well Baggy was semi tame other then liking to bite my hands.lol.

Steph

Josiemv
05-17-2014, 07:16 AM
Oh no. Thats so sad): why did they pass away? Mmm and when I take them out to play do I take them both out at the same time?

longobongo
05-17-2014, 12:15 PM
The babies are safe to be removed from their parents completely between 10-12 weeks old, I'm pretty sure. As long as they are weaned onto seed, pellets, fresh veggies, etc. they don't need to be with their parents any longer. However, there have been people who re-homed babes too soon after weaning, and the stress caused a regression where they required some feedings again. As long as the babies are weaned for two or so weeks, re-homing should be fine.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to have them both out at the same time. You could or you could just have one out. I have two birds (one male, one female, unrelated) and I often have them out separately. I have a better relationship with them individually because of it (they are out to be with me, not with each other). And when I'm busy or not spending time with them directly, I have them both out so they can hang out on top of one of the cages, etc. :)

Mummieeva
05-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Dad passed away due to liver issues... I would do both. Sometimes together and sometimes separate.

Josiemv
05-20-2014, 08:51 AM
The babies are safe to be removed from their parents completely between 10-12 weeks old, I'm pretty sure. As long as they are weaned onto seed, pellets, fresh veggies, etc. they don't need to be with their parents any longer. However, there have been people who re-homed babes too soon after weaning, and the stress caused a regression where they required some feedings again. As long as the babies are weaned for two or so weeks, re-homing should be fine.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to have them both out at the same time. You could or you could just have one out. I have two birds (one male, one female, unrelated) and I often have them out separately. I have a better relationship with them individually because of it (they are out to be with me, not with each other). And when I'm busy or not spending time with them directly, I have them both out so they can hang out on top of one of the cages, etc. :)

Thank you so much for this response! (: and thats what ive been doing so far..but the babies are going to be 2 weeks on friday..I handle them 10 minutes each every day..when they hit 2 weeks ill handle them twice for 10 minutes and so on. It was a helpful reply!

Josiemv
05-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Dad passed away due to liver issues... I would do both. Sometimes together and sometimes separate.

Thank you for all your help!