PDA

View Full Version : Progress With the Boys

BarbieH
10-30-2005, 12:59 PM
I have news of Bongo and Barney. :) They are really coming around, each in his own way.

Bongo will cautiously eat food from my finger or hand, especially if it is mushy banana. :):) The other day he *almost* took a bath from my hands, after he saw Sammy do it. He did walk down my bare arms and perch on my hands, and took a couple of drinks of water. :) He still won't come out willingly, but we're sure making progress.

Barney has always been the more fearful of the two, and today he flew out of the cage and landed on my shoulder! He wiggled his little butt while he worked up the courage to do it -- so cute! I walked around a bit with him on my shoulder (and Sam on my hand), and eventually he decided to fly on his own. And he flew to ... the bathroom, where we go for socializing time. I don't know if he did it on purpose, but once he was there, it was much easier to corral him!

Now that Barney has come out on his own, I don't think Bongo will be far behind. :D I told Barney he earned bragging rights today. :happy:

Angelwing
10-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Heheh, that's great, I'm so happy for you. It's such a good feeling to have a bird begin to trust you.

bellarains
10-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Barb,

Sounds like you and boys had a good day :)

It won't be long now until Bongo splishes and splashes in your hands, and Barney is sure to get a little curious about all that fun sooner of later.

Janie
10-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Barb, :D I'm very happy to read the good progress report! :)

BarbieH
10-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks all. :D In other bird news ...

... George, Gracie, and Didjit got their flights trimmed yesterday. Tim and I are getting more adept each time, it seems -- him with trimming, me with catching George and Gracie. :)

... GG&D got a third food dish added to their cage. I took the opportunity of feeling around each of their keels after their trims, and George felt thin. Didjit has been chasing him away from the food. The third dish was added to the far upper corner away from the other dishes, and it's working. George sneaks along the bottom of the cage to get there, practically on tippy-toe. :D

sdgilley
10-30-2005, 10:59 PM
George sneaks along the bottom of the cage to get there, practically on tippy-toe.

:rofl: I can picture that!

The boys sound delightful!

LauraO
10-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the update Barb. It sounds like things are going well with the training sessions :D.

Buy A Paper Doll
10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Poor George! He's not allowed to eat in his own cage!

BarbieH
10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Bongo is being soooo cautious! But today he almost went ahead and took that hand bath. Sammy did take a bath, in my hands, in front of Bongo, and afterwards Bongo went down my arms again and started fluffing his feathers. I swear I thought he would go for it, but again he stopped just short. Just like a little wild bird, he wants to make sure it's absolutely, positively safe. :)

mjm8321
10-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Great to hear your little guys are gaining that trust and venturing out more. Errrr, I feel a bit Lori-like here, but I'd love to see some pics of them if you have any....I know the names, but would really like to see the faces. :lol

BarbieH
10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
There's nothing wrong with being like Lori. :) (We loves ya, Lori. :D ) I guess it is time to see if they are camera-phobic like Sam, hams like Gracie, or something in between.