PDA

View Full Version : Should I take the toy away?

Lovie
05-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Birdie sometimes likes to act aggressively toward toys. You know how dogs will growl at squeaky toys and will attack them? That's how Birdie is sometimes. It will see a toy and lunge at it. If my fingers happen to be anywhere near the toy, I always get bitten by accident.

My question is... should I let Birdie keep the toy to get its aggression out, or should I take it away?

linda040899
05-26-2014, 07:55 PM
That would be your choice. Sometimes my fids get all wound up with their toys and my best defense to keep my fingers safe it to be very protective about them! A bit of rough play is not harmful, although misplaced aggression bites are no fun!

Bubblelady
05-26-2014, 09:58 PM
My Buddy, who was the sweetest lovebird ever, was VERY aggressive with ALL of her toys. I wish I had videos. After watching how she attacked toys I understand how lovebirds can easily kill another bird. And since she only liked to play if I was holding and wiggling the toy, I had to be VERY careful because she bit HARD when playing. The rest of the time she was the sweetest, most gentle bird you could hope for. I let her do this because she clearly LOVED playing rough.

Lovie
05-26-2014, 11:29 PM
That would be your choice. Sometimes my fids get all wound up with their toys and my best defense to keep my fingers safe it to be very protective about them! A bit of rough play is not harmful, although misplaced aggression bites are no fun!

Okay, I'll do my best to defend my fingers. :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been playfully bitten. Thank you!

My Buddy, who was the sweetest lovebird ever, was VERY aggressive with ALL of her toys. I wish I had videos. After watching how she attacked toys I understand how lovebirds can easily kill another bird. And since she only liked to play if I was holding and wiggling the toy, I had to be VERY careful because she bit HARD when playing. The rest of the time she was the sweetest, most gentle bird you could hope for. I let her do this because she clearly LOVED playing rough.

Thank you, and I think I'll continue to let Birdie play like that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't egging it on. :)

michael
05-27-2014, 04:59 AM
[snip]..........Thank you, and I think I'll continue to let Birdie play like that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't egging it on. :)

Me and Goofy Lovebird used to battle it out with carrot sticks, the benefits of which were, it helped him vent away any anxiety, plus, he took in much needed carrot nutrients. He hated carrots >:. Drop the carrot, and he'd immediately hop right on my finger. He also loved to beat up his plastic ball toys, bang his dingy bells, and wreak havoc on any paper rolled up and shoved between the bars of his cage. .. He was also good at removing the buttons from ALL my shirts. .........:)

Z28Taxman
05-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Ditto loves to fight with his toys. He'll scream, grunt and growl at them.

Occasionally when he's out on the couch with me he'll fly back to the cage just to beat up one of the bells, then come back. I guess the toys misbehave while he's out! :rofl:

Maxie
05-27-2014, 07:31 PM
I have a little stuffed yellow duckling that Max can't stand. I have it sitting on my jewellery box and when Max flies to the jewellery box, he makes sure he pushes the duckling off the box after, of course he bites its feet. He'll look over the edge to make sure it has fallen off. If I put it back up, he'll do the exact same thing. If I pick up the toy and pretend like I'm kissing it, he'll fly up to my hand and push it away and he'll start kissing me...lol.

With all other toys he likes, he's protective of them and doesn't like it if I touch them or take them away from him. So, I let him do his thing until he gets bored and moves on to the next thing.

Ahhh, these lovebirds...they're just the cutest!

Lovie
05-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Me and Goofy Lovebird used to battle it out with carrot sticks, the benefits of which were, it helped him vent away any anxiety, plus, he took in much needed carrot nutrients. He hated carrots >:. Drop the carrot, and he'd immediately hop right on my finger. He also loved to beat up his plastic ball toys, bang his dingy bells, and wreak havoc on any paper rolled up and shoved between the bars of his cage. .. He was also good at removing the buttons from ALL my shirts. .........:)

Haha, I wish my bird would at least play with food. It mostly just glares at vegetables. xD

Ditto loves to fight with his toys. He'll scream, grunt and growl at them.

Occasionally when he's out on the couch with me he'll fly back to the cage just to beat up one of the bells, then come back. I guess the toys misbehave while he's out! :rofl:

xD Lovies have such a love/hate relationship with bells..

I have a little stuffed yellow duckling that Max can't stand. I have it sitting on my jewellery box and when Max flies to the jewellery box, he makes sure he pushes the duckling off the box after, of course he bites its feet. He'll look over the edge to make sure it has fallen off. If I put it back up, he'll do the exact same thing. If I pick up the toy and pretend like I'm kissing it, he'll fly up to my hand and push it away and he'll start kissing me...lol.

With all other toys he likes, he's protective of them and doesn't like it if I touch them or take them away from him. So, I let him do his thing until he gets bored and moves on to the next thing.

Ahhh, these lovebirds...they're just the cutest!

They *are* the cutest. :D I'm glad so many lovebirds have the same strange quirk as Birdie. :)