PDA

View Full Version : Should I find out its gender?

Lovie
06-10-2014, 11:43 PM
My family has been discussing DNA testing my lovebird to find out its gender. We're still sort of unsure because my parents think it's unnecessary. It's also pretty expensive. My vet said it would cost about $60.00 for an appointment and $72.50 or something for the actual testing.

Do you think it's worth it? I'm not planning on being a breeder or anything, but I think it would be best to know.

linda040899
06-11-2014, 07:31 AM
This is strictly a personal choice and if gender doesn't really make a difference, it doesn't have to be done. I agree that the price tag you've quoted IS expensive, especially when you can order sexing kits (blood or feather) online, do it yourself, send in the samples and get results for perhaps 1/4 of the cost. I've used Avian Biotech many times and I've always been pleased with their service. Link to their site is http://www.avianbiotech.com

longobongo
06-11-2014, 12:02 PM
To me, I don't think it's necessary to know unless you plan on breeding your bird. Maybe if you want to try to figure out what to expect behaviourally? Even then, however, many birds will surprise you. There are lots of males that act like "typical" females and visa versa. When you get to know your bird and their wants and needs and patience and aggression and general behaviour, you'll base how you approach them on what you already know and not whether or not they're male or female.

However, it is certainly personal choice, and if you really want to know you can find out. :) I found out Bailey's sex when we got Boco, a confirmed male, so we could determine what to expect from their interactions together before we introduced them. This was more for safety. I always assumed Bailey was a female, based on her rather uhh.. "bitchy" attitude :P Not long after she was confirmed female did she lay her first clutch of eggs, also. However, even in my own situation, it wasn't entirely necessary to know that Bailey was a female before I introduced her to Boco. I already knew she was aggressive and territorial and this information alone would have caused me to be more careful when they first started interacting, whether she was male or female.

Dorothy
06-11-2014, 03:27 PM
I too have used avian biotech, to do both the blood and feather sexing, and they are very reliable. it is easiest to do the feather sexing I think and only $24.50 and you get an email confirmation and a DNA certificate. Dorothy

Lovie
06-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Thank you for your replies. :) To those who did it themselves, was it difficult to get a sample? I think I'd prefer the feather sampling, but even that makes me nervous..

Lovie
06-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Also, about how long did it take for the results to come back? (Sorry for all the questions.)

longobongo
06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Hello again! I did not take my own sample, but from what I read you would pluck about 5 feathers from the chest area and place them into a clean ziplock bag. :) The difficulty of this would be based on your bird and you and etc. Good luck!

Maxie
06-11-2014, 08:07 PM
When I got Max, I had no idea about his gender. I kinda felt this "vibe"...lol..that he was a male and went with that, hence his name. I figured, if he ends up being a she, well, she'll be called Maxie. Although I do call him my little Maxie paxie..lol. :rotfl

It's not until I saw his behaviour that I realized he was really a he. His little mating dance to himself in the mirror gave it away. Now, if he lays eggs one day, that will be a complete shock :omg:

longobongo
06-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Haha! I also had a hunch with both of my birds, Maxie! Right both times. :)

Maxie
06-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Haha! I also had a hunch with both of my birds, Maxie! Right both times. :)

lol...sometimes you just know :)

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Thank you for your replies. :) To those who did it themselves, was it difficult to get a sample? I think I'd prefer the feather sampling, but even that makes me nervous..

it is very easy to do a feather sample, just pluck one at a time some feathers from the chest area. take several feathers, if you send too few you might have to redo the sample and send it in again but they don't charge again. they give you a little bag to put it in that you label with your birds specifics and put in an envelope and mail to them. if you don't want to wait I have the name and address and the feathers can also be put in an unused plastic baggie and sent in so with all your information.I can talk you through it all if you like. Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Would my bird start bleeding? Or would it trust me less?

Thank you for answering my questions and for offering to help me through it. :)

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 01:38 PM
there is no bleeding, doesn't seem to hurt them in any way. and seconds later they have forgotten it even happened. this is something I do regularly without hesitation. I will help in any way, do you Skype? or I could call you, or just do it in conversations this way. Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Thank you so much. :) I'll probably need to do it in conversations like this.. I don't have Skype, and I'm a very bad phone caller (I get really awkward).

Do I need any supplies? (Tweezers, flour, a treat?)

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 06:28 PM
unless your bird is a biter, then you would need a towel, you need nothing. the trick is to do it quickly and calmly. all you are doing is holding the bird securely so that you have easy access to the chest and plucking one to two feathers with your fingers until you have several. you place them someplace right near you that is clean and then when done gathering the samples bag them in a clean bag. I have never had a contamination problem so I think you have to be pretty sloppy for that to be a problem. once everything is bagged, you can give your lovebird some loving.before you do the plucking you should have all your specific info ready to send with the samples.you can do this alone or with help. obviously wash your hands good first just in case. I do it alone with no problem because lovebirds are small and easily handled. it is hard to explain this as much as I like in a conversation and we will obviously have to do this a few times to answer all questions. I have never had a bird be hurt, or hold it against me or anything. but as I said it is good to be quick and
calm. if you show fear the bird might sense it. let me k ow what other questions you have, I have bee doing this for many years, I'm not perfect, but I know my way around pretty well when it comes to this.Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 06:43 PM
First of all, thank you again.

Do I just need to fill out this form? http://www.avianbiotech.com/avian.pdf
Also, do I just print and fill this form out, put money in it, and send the form, the money, and the sample?

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 07:20 PM
fill out the form, especially include email and phone. you can send a check or money order or give them your credit card info, they have never abused my credit card info, and don't charge until the test is done. identify that it is a lovebird, it's color mutation, it's band number and check DNA. after mailing they send an email that they received your sample. then they email you with the results. after a week or so you receive the DNA certificate. they are very nice on the phone if you have questions also. yes send the form and form of payment, and sample all in together. if you bird has no band give its name as an identifier. they will have your phone if they need to ask for info left off. once they receive the sample it is one to three days for results. I found I usually get them in a day or day and a half. holler if you have any more questions. Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Its band number? I don't think a leg band is required in my state... is it required in most states? (I know you said I can use its name, but I'm just curious.)

Lovie
06-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Oh, and also, do I need to include this "account #"? Where would I find that?

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 07:35 PM
I am in ny, last I knew it was required here but I guess I should check again for my own benefit. I don't know about where you are. personally I band because it is a good idea to do so for a few reasons. use the birds name then so they have something to reference the bird by.as far as the account number they assign that to you, just not sure if they do so if you are a one time customer. so you leave that blank at this point. what kind of lovebird do you have, how old and what is its name? if you don't mind my asking? Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 07:36 PM
It's a lutino lovie, about six months or so. Its name is Birdie (my, how creative). :)
I just nearly finished filling out the form. I'm probably going to send cash, but I need to check with my family members to make sure they'll approve of that.

If the mailtruck already came, should I wait until tomorrow to do it so I can send it immediately? Or should I do it now and just mail it tomorrow?

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 07:44 PM
try not to send cash, just for you sake, you can't always trust doing that. you can take the samples and put it all in the envelope etc. now, if you were to wait several days I would redo the samples to be on the safe side. then mail it as quickly as possible.Dorothy

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 07:45 PM
forgot to say it is a lovely bird. Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Okay, I think I'm going to go and wash my hands. I'm actually very nervous... Thank you so much for helping me. I'll be nearby, and I'll report as soon as I'm done (or when I encounter a problem).

Lovie
06-12-2014, 07:49 PM
I can't seem to get any feathers out... is there a strategy?

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 07:49 PM
don't be nervous, it's really easy. let me know how you do, good luck. Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 07:58 PM
I got one out.. but the rest won't come, and my bird is getting upset..

Lovie
06-12-2014, 08:06 PM
I just finished...

Lovie
06-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Is this an okay amount? There are six, although a few are white fluff that accidentally came out with the rest.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/LovieBirdie/photo-27_zps8d4093de.jpg

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 08:24 PM
you do have to tug a bit sometimes. it's a quick,hard pull. if the bird is nervous, try again tomorrow then, just hold the bird firmly and try again. try getting your fingers in a little closer perhaps to the root of end of the feather closest to the chest. then quick hard tug. Dorothy

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 08:28 PM
just saw this, I think that should be okay, if you can get a few more that are not white fluff okay. if not just send that in.worse case scenario you just send them more and it takes a little longer.Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Okay, thank you so much! You helped me a lot. :)

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 08:34 PM
glad to help, let me know what sex the bird turns out to be,I'll be wondering now. lol!Dorothy

Lovie
06-12-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm so glad it's done..

Lovie
06-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Just an update.. Birdie is playing happily again. I'm still trying to figure out these forms, hahah... Label ID #? Does anyone know what that is?

Dorothy
06-12-2014, 09:16 PM
you can leave that blank because the label # is if you are using the bag they provide or card they provide which you are not doing. Dorothy