PDA

View Full Version : Help... Loose bird

Cat
06-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone, Jack is a senior bird and not tame at all. I've had him for 1 week and he has escaped his cage and is now flying thru the house. I have the cat and dog locked in my room. How do I catch this guy? I have a towel, am I supposed to do that? Now he regurgitated seed all over, whoa, is that normal?

longobongo
06-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Oh gosh, hello again! Have you managed to capture Jack yet? As long as the cats an dogs are locked out, I think everything will ultimately be okay. Make sure windows are blocked and there's no way for him to escape the room he's in. You say he's regurgitated. If you can remember, did he sort of "pump" his neck a little, and food came out of his mouth? Did he flick his head from side to side? What was he doing immediately before and immediately after the regurgitation?

I would make sure his cage is nearby, and just sort of sit. Don't chase him around. If you have the time to spare, just let him explore the room (safely! - so no wires, unblocked windows he could fly into, etc.). Eventually, he'll be hungry or thirsty and he'll travel back to his cage on his own. I can't say how long eventually can take, though. So if you need to get him back into his cage you could try dimming the lights, which would slow him down and likely cause him to just sort of sit and watch and look around. In my experience, my lovebirds are not comfortable in the dark, I assume because they can't see very well. I wouldn't make it pitch black of course, maybe turn the lights off and allow whatever outside light to stream through.

A towel is the perfect thing to use to capture him. Using both hands just gently wrap the towel around his little body, and hold him in both hands. I like to have one hand wrapped around the body, and the other closer to the neck to prevent squirming and escaping. Then, just place him back in his cage, hopefully allowing him to step down onto one of the perches.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Edit: Upon reading your post again, I realized that you mean he's flying all over the house. If you can kind of corral him into one room, with a door, it would be best to try to work with him there. Make sure to have his cage present, because he might choose to go back in on his own.

Cat
06-11-2014, 06:54 PM
No, still haven't caught him. I've just been sitting here and watching him preen on top of my kitchen cabinets. Yes he did a head pump when the seed came out. I watched him do that yesterday for the first time but it was apple and he was eating it as it came up. Today the seeds just kinda went everywhere. He sure thinks he's cool sitting up there. Lol I'll put his cage on the counter closer to him and give him some time. Thank you so much

longobongo
06-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Of course :) If possible, try to urge him to a room with a door, you might find it easier to work with him in there. Male birds often regurgitate (and some females too! My own female regurgitates when she's nesty). A simple pumping followed by the regurgitate is normal regurgitation but a violent flicking of the head is indicative of involuntary vomiting, which is not good. If you've noticed normal regurgitating before, I wouldn't really worry about it. If you plan on taking him to the vet soon for a well-bird exam, make sure you mention it to your vet.

His cage is home to him, so failing all else, he'll go back eventually. If you have doors that you can keep open (I do not, on my own cages, they are the guillotine-style doors), that would be best. :) Good luck!

Cat
06-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Whew..... Thank God he's back in his home! I grabbed a black towel to catch him, seemed to work well, thank you again. I was thinking, oh crap!!!! I am wanting to take him to a vet for a well check but the only cage I have is his and it's rather large. I read somewhere that you can use a cat carrier for transport, is that ok?

longobongo
06-11-2014, 07:56 PM
For vet appointments I use a small "critter carrier," which you can get at any pet store, usually in the reptile department. Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/4/4258379647C.jpg

At first, my lovebirds were kind of uncomfortable in here, but I just put in a small piece of millet, and off to the vet we went. They do very well in here now. I put a small towel at the bottom as well. I think some pet stores carry travel cages, etc? I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my bird into anything too big, especially something they can't really see out of and I can't see into.

Also don't feel discouraged allowing Jack out, these kinds of things happen to everyone, hehe :) Did you try prompting him to step up onto your finger or arm? Or was he just determined to stay away from you?

Cat
06-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks again. I will be getting one of those containers. He pretty much didn't want us getting too close. I could get a lot closer than my husband could. I actually caught him twice, first time he got away because I "had to" pet him and he flew off. I have done some more research today on regurgitation. I watched him again today. It is definitely regurgitation and not vomit. He is eating it as soon as it comes up. I'm sure this guy is experiencing something he's NEVER had before. I know he was never given any attention what so ever and now he is in a high traffic area and I stop and talk to him all thru the day. I'll take his cage outside with me in the mornings while I'm watering and sit him next to me while I watch tv. I'm a little worried on how he is going to due at the vet. This will be his first visit and he is so wild. I read its normal behavior but could be crop infection. Him not being properly cared for all those years worries me. It absolutely breaks my heart that this lovebird has never known any love!

michael
06-13-2014, 06:03 AM
[snip]........ I'm a little worried on how he is going to due at the vet. This will be his first visit and he is so wild. I read its normal behavior but could be crop infection. Him not being properly cared for all those years worries me. It absolutely breaks my heart that this lovebird has never known any love!

Hi Cat and Jack. .. As long as your vet is certified avian, or has at the least an excellent reputation treating/handling most species of parrots, probably the only thing you'll end up with is a pissed off lovebird. .. Crop infection? Eh, with all the recent activity going on, I kinda doubt it. Still, its good he's going in for a well bird exam, if for anything, this will ensure his current health is up to par, plus, provide your vet a comparison health record in the event Jack ever gets sick or injured. ... Have you thought about having your vet perform a "mild wing clip"? .. This allows wayward birds to at least enjoy some measure of flight while rendering them a bit more managable by their owner. .. At any rate, keep us posted. And good luck at the vets! ........ :)

Cat
06-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you for your response Michael. Yes I have considered getting his wings clipped. My current vet sees birds with good reviews, so that's a plus. The staff is excellent so I'm sure he will be ok. I'm sure I'm just being a paranoid newbie! Lol

bbslovie
06-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Hi, just my 2 cents, you said you take your birdie outside in it's cage. Just make sure you keep an eye out at all times when you take your birdie outside. There are still predators and you want to keep your little one safe. Also, if your bird gets out and is hard to get back in it's cage try turning off the lights. Birds don't have great night vision and are much easier to catch when it's dark.

Thanks,
Barb :)