PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep female and male sibling together?

Josiemv
06-14-2014, 09:58 AM
I haven't DNA tested..but personality wise I think I have a male and female....would itbe okay to keep them in the same cage even though they are siblings?

Dorothy
06-14-2014, 10:31 AM
just to be safe, I would get them tested. siblings will breed which you do not want. if you need any help on the testing I would be happy to help tell you about it. Dorothy

linda040899
06-14-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree. I would have them DNA sexed so you know for sure. I've bred sibling together before but only if I was looking for a specific mutation and I knew for sure parents were unrelated and I could not find an unrelated mate for either of them. Once I got what I wanted, the babies were paired with unrelated birds so that I could maintain the quality of what I have. This should only be done by breeders and for very specific reasons. I don't do it randomly!

Avian Biotech (http://www.avianbiotech.com) does blood, as well as feather, sexing and you can order kits online.

Josiemv
06-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Hey everyone! If I keep them in the same cage it would be as companions to eachother and to me. No nestboxes or anything. I still wouldn't be able to house them together?

Dorothy
06-14-2014, 02:42 PM
no, they will still do what comes naturally. they don't realize they are related. best to keep them separate until you know the sex of each. even then you need to make sure they get along,if it is two females or even two males they can sometimes have one who is dominant and picks on the other. so it just doesn't always work out to keep them together.find out the sex first, then evaluate how they are together, which can change at different stages of their life, so it is an ongoing evaluation. Dorothy

Mummieeva
06-14-2014, 03:08 PM
You can keep them in side by side cages and they will still be company to each other. They even make cages like that with a divider in between them. I agree with the others. Best to know gender to avoid babies. Even not putting a nest box in there if they are male/female pair they will have eggs. Also if they are both females you will be able to keep a close eye on them as often times(not always) two females will not get along once mature enough to want to lay eggs.

Josiemv
06-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Can I keep 3 males together? Or 1 female and 2 males? Which would be the best combination? They wouldn't be related. Would adding the female with my 2 males affect their relationship with me?And in out of cagetime would they all be able to hang out together including any that are siblings?

Dorothy
06-17-2014, 08:05 AM
for multiples stay with males. with regular handling, both individually, and together they will stay tame and still bonded with you. Dorothy

Josiemv
06-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Thank you!!! Can I let them out all together? Inckuding female?

Dorothy
06-18-2014, 06:33 AM
if you let them out all together it would have to be with constant supervision. Dorothy