PDA

View Full Version : In and out of cage??

Maxie
06-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding your lovies behaviour when they're out of the cage.

As soon as Max wakes up in the morning, he wants out of his cage. I can't even change his food and water in the morning without him sneaking out the door! Then he flies around the house like a jet fighter exploring EVERYTHING. (I can't believe how many things he has damaged...lol). Once he's out of the cage, he won't even go near it! He'll even fly up to the second floor bedrooms and do his thing. Of course, I have to follow him to make sure that he doesn't get hurt anywhere. Well, after following him around the house for a couple of hours, I have to get him back in the cage so I can continue on with my life...lol. What a battle that is! He'll fly to my hands no problem when I call him but when he sees I'm heading for the cage to get him back in, he bolts!! Needlesstosay, I've come up with a few tricks to get him back in but I have to slide my hand out very slowly because he refuses to get off and still tries to sneak out. Only when he's totally famished or thirsty from flying around so long will he hop off my hand and straight onto the food cup....lol

So, tell me, do your lovies go in and out of the cage or even go near the cage when they're out?

Z28Taxman
06-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Ditto will go back to his cage on his own. Almost every night while we watch tv he flies back to grab a snack and brings it to the couch to eat out of my hand. Sometimes he has to go back just to check and make sure everything is still there. :rotfl When it's time to go back in, all I have to do is walk over to the cage and put him near it and he hops right in. :whistle:

But I never have to follow him around the house. Wherever I am is where he goes so he usually winds up following me, unless I'm sitting here at the computer with him and he decides we need to be in the room with the tv, then he flies between the two rooms screaming at me to join him. :rofl: If I manage to leave the room without him he'll fly around looking for me and if he can't find me he goes back to the cage and waits until I come back.

Lovie
06-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Hehe, Birdie will only go into her cage by herself if:
1. she's hungry and wants food NOW.
2. she sees a toy and wants to play with it.

:) I can sympathize with you, Maxie. and Z28Taxman, how I envy you. I feel so bad putting my little baby back inside. :(

Maxie
06-21-2014, 08:10 AM
You guys are so lucky! Max is sooo stubborn when he wants to be.

I wonder what I should do to get him to at least sit on the top of his cage when he's out when he won't even go near it.

Any thoughts?

Dorothy
06-21-2014, 08:38 AM
what about a llaypen on top or some sort of set up like that that also has treats and fabulous toys to attract him to the top? Dorothy

Maxie
06-21-2014, 09:03 AM
what about a llaypen on top or some sort of set up like that that also has treats and fabulous toys to attract him to the top? Dorothy

That's a great idea. Although he's not interested much in "birdie toys". I'll see what I can find at the petshop today and maybe set up some sort of jungle gym for him on the roof of his cage. I worry that when he's out having fun, he forgets about eating and drinking water.

Just now I finally got him back in his cage...he was out for three hours :omg: He didn't want to go in but when he finally got off my hand, the first thing he did was take 10 gulps of water and then started eating :happy:

Dorothy
06-21-2014, 09:37 AM
they have some great gyms out there that have cups and swings and all sorts of stuff. he will probably enjoy it, might have to close him in one room for a bit until he gets used to going to it, so he won't keep flying off elsewhere.i don't have the energy some of you on this do as far as chasing my birds. i only take them out when i can sit down and spend happy hour times with them.lol! i am also afraid of what they might get into, and get out of! Dorothy

Mummieeva
06-21-2014, 10:37 AM
My lovies had their own room for most of the time.I was to nervous to let them fly all over the house. I use to let them out for 2-3 hours then put them back. Sometimes they went back on own and other times it was chase the birdie.

Steph