PDA

View Full Version : It was a bad day..

Lovie
06-27-2014, 01:44 AM
Hi, everyone.
Today, Birdie acted very strangely. She was extremely nippy, and I noticed (while cleaning her cage) that she had chewed on her wooden perch. It's only a dowel, a standard one that came with the cage, but she's never really chewed it before now. The wood of the perch is all chewed up, like termites came and ate it.

Should I be worried? If it helps, Birdie is about 6-7 months old and is still molting.

carrier
06-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Hi,

I wouldn't be alarmed about the chewing. Birds chew!!! I think a busy beak is generally a sign of a happy bird. My two have a swing that has wooden hearts up along the sides of it and they have managed to make them look like some sort of abstract art. :omg::omg:

I do think there is some wood that may not be best for lovies though. I have mananzita (not sure if that's how you spell it) perches and it is a very hard wood and can withstand even a determined lovie's attempts at shredding it.

linda040899
06-27-2014, 03:35 PM
I always have shredible wood perches in all cages. Plain, ordinary wooden dowels (usually pine) are just fine. Just make sure you have replacements on hand! A busy beak is attached to a happy parrot! :)

Z28Taxman
06-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Yep. Busy beak is a happy beak. Just watch out for things that have loose strings. They can cause trouble.

Lovie
06-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Okay, thank you for all of your help! Guess I'm just being a little oversensitive and overly worried. :)