PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of the dark.

Iosevus
07-06-2014, 07:37 PM
So yesterday when I covered Fia's cage she jumped up and clung to the top corner of it. When I uncovered her, she was in the same spot, I thought it was just a coincidence, she couldn't have been hanging there all night.

Well, tonight I cover her again, she jumps up again in the corner... so I stop and see if she moves... when she doesn't I cover her, wait awhile, and check back. She is still in the same spot, possibly breathing heavy like she is afraid (I need to watch her breath when she is calm to see if it was faster or not), as soon as I uncover her she hops down to the perch.. then I start to cover again and back up to the corner.

Could she be afraid of being covered?

michael
07-06-2014, 10:24 PM
It doesn't sound as though Fia's really afraid of being covered, but rather, once covered simply feels more secure up in a corner than out on an open perch. .. You know, awhile back I made a similar observation wondering whether my lovebirds preferred to be covered at night or not. Leaving them uncovered, and having turned the lights out at the same time I would normally cover their cages, I found they'd soon retire into the same spot they did whenever they were covered. For these two, at any rate, covered or not made little difference. .. However, because my current lovebird sleeps in the same room I do, and i'm often up until 3am, I keep his cage covered from about 9pm till he begins his 6am wake up calls. ....... :)

linda040899
07-07-2014, 05:48 AM
If he likes that corner, he will go there, regardless. Perhaps add a perch in that area so there's an option if he doesn't want to hang off the corner of the cage.