PDA

View Full Version : Nervous Tic

lambo4705
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Hello,

In recent weeks my yellow lovebird has been exhibiting behaviour consistent with a nervous tick of some sort. She typically sits on her perch and starts thrashing her head in a circular motion while chirping. This action is repeated approximately 4 times before a pause. The same process resumes thereafter.

A video of her behaviour: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjtWjwuOpxI

If anyone has encountered this behaviour before your insight would be much appreciated. Further if anyone can identify her species that would be appreciated as well.

michael
07-09-2014, 07:07 AM
What I believe your observing is a normal response to sound or visuals going on about her environment. What can be heard yet not seen may inspire head motions that in some way help gather information such as, location, and/or identification of another party. This might also be a sign that she's excited, or in her own quirky way, quite happy to see you. .. My lovebird pretty well exercises the same head motions, and its generally for all the reasons above. Only he does it to the extent that his previous owner had nick-named him "Monkey". ........:)