PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove baby lovebirds before fully weaned but eating in their own?

Josiemv
07-13-2014, 06:56 PM
My 2 baby lovebirds are 9 weeks old but still take some food from mom but eat on their own. Can I separate the 2 babies from mom? Since theg are both missing feathers?? They are still fights. I hear them scream at night...what do I do?! They eat millet and pellets well.

linda040899
07-13-2014, 10:17 PM
At age 9 weeks, they can have their own cage but don't be surprised if you have unhappy lovies. You may find yourself keeping them apart part of the time and back together again for a while. Try and see what happens.

Josiemv
07-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Thank you Linda! Should I separate them morning or night? And eating wise they should be okay on their own? And how can I tell if they are unhappy?

linda040899
07-14-2014, 01:55 PM
I would try separating them during the day. Trust me. If they are unhappy, you will know it!

I have a similar situation right now where one of my hens just hatched another baby on the floor of her cage! She has an older baby in with her and her mate and I figured it was time for the older baby to move so that's what I did. Reaction of baby and parents were quite surprising. The baby was calling for parents and mom left the new baby and sat on a perch calling for the older baby. Guess you know what happened next........

Trial and error.