PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting Alex a friend

Alex14
09-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Alex love's to be with the Parrotlets, but he is getting a little bold with them, so now I let them out seperately. He is so playful and wants to be friends. I am looking at a blackmasked baby and trying to make up my mind, and wondering if they could ever share a cage, I have a nice big cage they both would do nicely in.

Any suggestions? I know I have to get pictures up.

Alex and Evelyn

linda040899
09-21-2014, 10:11 AM
If Alex is a Peachfaced Lovebird, I would get another Peachfaced Lovebird. There are definite personality differences between species and I usually find that like species get along best, although there are exceptions. The one thing you absolutely have to know before you do anything is what gender Alex is. It will make a huge difference, especially if Alex turns out to be a hen. While I have several hens that get along well, most don't. Two males will be happy campers, while having a male/female pair would most likely lead to babies, as that's what pairs do, even if they are the slave's personal pets!

In general, lovebird beaks are too strong for parrotlets, even though a parrotlet can inflict a nasty bite. The lovebird beak is larger so that gives the lovie an advantage that can cause serious injury and even death to a parrotlet.

Do your research and give this some serious consideration.

Alex14
09-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Can anyone suggest a breeder? PM me or send email. I do understand what you are saying. So far I have contacted 5 breeders. 3 Don't ship one never answered back, and the 5th will only ship if you spend x amount of money.

Alex14
09-23-2014, 07:47 AM
I have decided not to get Alex a friend, he is all I can handle , right now, in a lovie. He is so fun to watch and loves showing off, I am afraid I would loose that in him getting another one.

linda040899
09-23-2014, 08:00 AM
I am afraid I would loose that in him getting another one.
Maybe, maybe not. A lot depends on the amount of attention they get from you. If the dynamics don't change, you could end up with 2 velcro birdies instead of just one. However, trust your own instincts and just have one if you are not sure.