PDA

View Full Version : How to tame very frightened birds?

Aushi
09-24-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm a new bird owner in general.

I got three "less than a year old" lovebirds that appeared to have been completely ignored by any human. They are placed in the family room, where the TV is usually on at all times except at night and any movement used to get them worked up (flying all around the cage all nervous), you didn't even need to be close to the cage and they'd be nervous. You opened the door to the family room and they would get incredibly frightened.

They seem to have gotten used movement to the point they start singing with people inside the room. But any movement near their cage is a huge no, they fly around and get very nervous. They aren't aggressive at all though.

I'd love to receive any tips on how to tame them and be able to interact with them! I was told to "let the cage open" so they could explore me on their own terms since they are very curious, but they just flew frantically around the room and they were NOT happy to be anywhere near me, had to use a towel to catch them because after hours they had no interest in getting down from the curtains.

I was told that as a pair, they wouldn't be interested in being tamed or have anything to do with me, so I chose to remove the third female from the cage and leave the pair be, and have her alone in a cage. I've been taking my time to sit by her, place my hand in her cage (without trying to catch her) and either watch tv, read out loud, etc. I've only been doing this for only three days, and have yet to see any progress, though I was told it could take even months before she decides to stop flying around the cage all nervously or stops biting at the cage trying to find a way out. It makes me very sad to see her like that though, makes me feel like she's miserable :\ I know letting them free isn't an option, they wouldn't survive, but I feel like a bad owner seeing a bird in SO much distress just because of my presence, but if I stop trying to tame her, I'll feel bad she's stuck in a cage all by herself all day :\

I would appreciate tips on how to at least tame the lone female! I didn't want to buy adult birds because I didn't want the "fish like relationship" (feed, watch... done). But I couldn't find any PF young birds to hand raise, the ones that were available were masked and have the weird white ring around their eyes and for some reason it freaks me out :c And on top of that, I do not know how to hand feed, I bought a cockatiel a few months ago who the store neglected to tell me needed to be hand fed, once I got home they called me up to tell me, I tried to hand feed him for a few days and he eventually just died.

My daughter just suffered a loss (she's only 5 years old (6 in december), she isn't REALLY suffering it, but sometimes she understand what happened, and soon she'll suffer another loss, her father and I got divorced and he doesn't pay any attention to her, only like perhaps every few months, and next month he leaves the country, which I'm sure will be the last time in a long time she sees him) and I thought a pet to watch and listen to would be great during this time and then the next hard time, since I had to re-home our rabbits before the loss, I didn't want her to be pet-less. She lives in a country where she doesn't know the language so she can't play with the kids either and I can only be so much fun or comfort for a 5 year old.

So I want to tame at least one of the trio, to the point I can train them to step up and such. So my daughter can have her on her hand and talk to a friend who she'll feel can understand her :c Help?

linda040899
09-24-2014, 09:09 AM
The best suggestion I can offer is be patient and keep on doing what you are doing. You know you won't hurt the lovebird but she/they don't realize that. Parrots learn by experience and there is no time frame. Each bird is different. If they are not used to any human contact or even presence, they don't know that you are not a predator who wants to make them your next meal. Remember, smaller birds are prey. Anything larger is viewed as a predator.

For now, just being near her cage, eating near her, interacting with her, hands off/hidden, is your best course of action. You have to win her trust and there are no short cuts, regardless of what you may hear. Letting her out, fully flighted and untame is bound to lead to stress when you try to put her back in her cage. A mini wing clip, 4-5 flight feathers on each wing, will limit where she can go without eliminating her ability to glide to the ground without injury. I'm going through something similar with a Green Cheek Conure and the breeder swears he was tame at one point. I've got to question that because this is a long slow process.

Lovebirds are naturally curious and, as she begins to trust you, she will vocalize to you and expect you to respond. Take advantage of that curiousity and keep up the good work!

Aushi
09-24-2014, 09:29 AM
The best suggestion I can offer is be patient and keep on doing what you are doing. You know you won't hurt the lovebird but she/they don't realize that. Parrots learn by experience and there is no time frame. Each bird is different. If they are not used to any human contact or even presence, they don't know that you are not a predator who wants to make them your next meal. Remember, smaller birds are prey. Anything larger is viewed as a predator.

For now, just being near her cage, eating near her, interacting with her, hands off/hidden, is your best course of action. You have to win her trust and there are no short cuts, regardless of what you may hear. Letting her out, fully flighted and untame is bound to lead to stress when you try to put her back in her cage. A mini wing clip, 4-5 flight feathers on each wing, will limit where she can go without eliminating her ability to glide to the ground without injury. I'm going through something similar with a Green Cheek Conure and the breeder swears he was tame at one point. I've got to question that because this is a long slow process.

Lovebirds are naturally curious and, as she begins to trust you, she will vocalize to you and expect you to respond. Take advantage of that curiousity and keep up the good work!

Okidoke then, good to know that what I'm doing isn't so bad. I'll keep hands out though until she relaxes with me near the cage :) Hopefully in a couple of months I can put my hand in and it won't be stressful! I was gifted an extra cages, I'm still trying to find a baby PF to care for and hand raise, but won't be stopping the taming process.

linda040899
09-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Additionally, there's no telling just where the level of trust will fall. I have an imported African Grey who has lived with me since 1991. She likes being around me and interacting, but our relationship is strictly hands off! She will take food from my hands but that's as far as it goes. Each parrot is different.... :)

Z28Taxman
09-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Additionally, there's no telling just where the level of trust will fall. I have an imported African Grey who has lived with me since 1991. She likes being around me and interacting, but our relationship is strictly hands off! She will take food from my hands but that's as far as it goes. Each parrot is different.... :)

Ditto is the opposite. He loves my hands and would be there 24/7 if I let him (my hand is his favorite nap spot) but let me hold food in my hands and he turns into a flying shark. In his attempt to rip the food out of my fingers he usually takes them too! :omg: