PDA

View Full Version : Timescales to expect with taming?

idiotwind
10-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Hello,
We got our pair of peach faced lovebirds about 2 weeks ago. They are around 3 months old and don't yet have their adult plumage. Parent raised but grew up around people and with hand raised lovebirds (I can post a pic on this thread if it is allowed).
Things are going well, they are getting on well with each other and we have managed to change their diet to pellets. They seem happy and active and are much calmer around us and in their new cage than when they arrived. They no longer seem scared apart from when we need to reach into the cage to clean things / move toys etc (which we try to minimise) when they retreat as far as possible and freeze. We've been sitting by their cage, trying to talk to them a lot and blinking to reassure them. Attempts to offer treats by hand have failed so far.
The decision to get a pair was a conscious one as there can't be somebody around all the time and a single bird could get lonely. I know that parent raised lovebirds can be very slow to trust you and a pair is unlikely to ever be completely tame but I had a few questions about how best to make progress.
-We haven't let them out of their cage yet. I'm terrified that having to catch them if they don't go back in would traumatise them (and us), setting things back. How long should we wait before trying this?
-Is it realistic to even try and tame birds in this situation? If so should we continue what we are doing or are there any other tips people could suggest?
-For anyone in a similar position in the past how long has it typically taken to make progress (months or years?) I know patience is key!
Many thanks,
Ed

Mummieeva
10-02-2014, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the wonderful joy of lovies. Lovebirds need no more the 20% of pellets in their diet. Pellet only diet is not very good for them. It can cause health issues for them. They need seed, grains(whole wheat bread and pasta), some veggies,and fruit. Just like humans a varied diet works best.

-We haven't let them out of their cage yet. I'm terrified that having to catch them if they don't go back in would traumatise them (and us), setting things back. How long should we wait before trying this?

I normally allow my birds out to fly in a small closed off room. That way easier to get them back into cage when needed. Atleast til I gain trust enough for them to come to me. Most times I would change the water and food and they would come flying back. You could try a wing trim also so that they do not stray to far.

-Is it realistic to even try and tame birds in this situation? If so should we continue what we are doing or are there any other tips people could suggest?
-For anyone in a similar position in the past how long has it typically taken to make progress (months or years?)

How tame your birds will be will be up to them really. Some warm up fast and others take longer. Just do not give up even if the birds decide they only like you for hair styling. lol. My lovies loved to play with my hair when out of cage. You guys are taking the right steps to gain their trust from what I can see.

Pips mom
10-02-2014, 09:43 AM
My Pip came from a similar situation.......he was parent raised, but used to people. Pip has always been pretty brave! He wanted out of the cage asap from day one! He had a previous owner though until he was 9 months old, who apparently let him out alot. I did let Pip out of cage right after getting him, and getting him back in was not too hard. I've always had Pip clipped though, but just enough to slow him down a bit, he still had plenty of flight! Pip does not like hands, even to this day, and he's just 8 yrs. old sometime this month. It didn't take too long with Pip, he was always fairly tame.........with two it might be harder, but I've found that no matter the bird or situation, it's never impossible or not worth it! You don't have to try hard to tame a bird........all you have to do is spend lots of time with them, get to really know them, try to communicate with them and learn their likes and dislikes. Eat nearby them.........the flock always eats together! but most of all, just show them love, patience and understanding........especially with bites! Lovebirds tend to be bitey, and although it hurts, I can tell you firsthand that it's SO worth all the bites! Remember too, that every bird is different, and they all go at their own pace, but it will take time to earn trust. I would probably try to start letting them out sometime soon though. Maybe get them clipped for a while until they get used to their new home and people. Good luck!

linda040899
10-02-2014, 11:03 AM
All great advice!!! The biggest thing in developing a trust relationship is to be aware that there are no shortcuts and you have to be patient. Parrots learn by experience. You know you won't hurt them but it will take time for them to learn that for themselves. :)

Lovebirds, by nature, are curious and their curiosity will get the better of them. Many parrots don't like the color red so that might or might not be a problem with yours. Two is a good idea. Lovebirds need a lot of attention and some of it is attention that they can only get from another lovebird. Watching them cuddled together when they sleep is priceless and this is something they need.

The first molt begins at age 4 months (16 weeks) and you will see the first signs in the brow area. Photos are allowed but not directly from your computer. Upload the photos to an online site and share them here via links. :)

idiotwind
10-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the advice and support. Will look at trying to let them out in a smaller room first, although I'm still terrified!
Oddly we haven't notice a problem with red but they are terrified of purple.
The pellet issue issue is something I haven't heard of before. In fact it goes against all the advice I have read on the topic (which suggests that ~ 75% of their diet should be pellets). Please don't be offended by my questioning this - I know you guys have much more experience than me but do you have a reference for this? They still eat seedmix as a part of their diet and love millet sprays too. Trying and failing to get them to to eat fruit and veg but will persevere on that (I was surprised they took to pellets quite easily, although given a choice they will always take seed).
Here's a, bad, photo. I think the age estimate of 3 months or so is fairly accurate as they haven't got any black on their beaks but haven't yet started to moult. Looking forward to seeing their adult colours, their parents were beautiful.
Thanks again,
Ed

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B-ExU7nZ4N8/VC15Vo-09XI/AAAAAAAABnw/VAZD0aeuytA/w680-h510-no/10405439_10152703788210902_7807925944151544875_n.j pg

linda040899
10-02-2014, 11:50 AM
My avian vet is my reference source for the pellet advice. Her practice has found that more than 20% pellets in the diet of all small parrots is too much nutrition and can cause death by kidney failure. I feed, perhaps, 10% pellets and I have quite a number of healthy senior citizens (10+ years) who are doing just fine. Lovebirds are native to Africa and have a dietary need that requires a higher fat content in their diets (true of all African species) and pellets are too low in fat. I, personally, use a seed based diet, maybe 10% pellets and lots of fresh food. Lafebers Nutriberries contain pellets and my larger parrots adore them!

Looks like your green lovebird is Pied Green. The other one is hard to tell because I can't see the rump feathering. Many Pieds don't get dark splotches on their beaks as babies and the other one I think might be a cinnamon so the dark splotch would have been brownish tan. They are between 3 - 3.5 months of age so the information you got is accurate. They ae babies. Are they from different sets of parents? They sure are cute!!!!

idiotwind
10-02-2014, 12:10 PM
They are from different parents but raised together. Looks like they should be moulting in the not too distant future and will post some 'after' pictures.
What kind of seed mix do you use (I realise this thread is moving way off forum topic)? We have a low fat seed mix (ie: no sunflower seeds) and harrison's superfine pellets. Sounds like I should make up a custom mixture. I've not seen nutriberries available in the UK but can hunt online if you recommend them.
Any suggestions for encouraging them to eat fruit and veg? Have tried a wide selection and they completely ignore it!
PS: is that an Abyssinian in your picture? A pair nested in a hole in a tree in my garden when I lived in Ethiopia, loved watching them.

Mummieeva
10-02-2014, 12:42 PM
For my birds I would offer same veggie or fruit for a week. Ever bird is different. But my lovies like broccoli,carrots,lettuce(only a little lettuce), green peppers, spinach(in small amounts) and the only fruit mine liked was Pomegranates. I just kept offering them until they liked them. I am sure you know this but cabbage,onions, and avocados are a few foods to not give to them.

linda040899
10-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Yes. The lovebird in my photo is a female Abyssinian that I named Miracle. Wonderful species!

I do a custom seed mix myself. I start with a plain cockatiel mix, non-fortified but containing sunflower. Then I add some of my mixture for my parrots and a veggie mixture, as well. Lovebirds need the fat contained in sunflower. You may have to check online to find Labefers Nutriberries.

All you can do is keep offering fresh veggies everyday. They don't recognize them as something edible so they ignore them. :) Mine LOVE shredded carrots, as they are long strings that can be played with and taste good, too! Warning......fresh figs are great, but messy, pomegranate is good but another very messy food! The aftermath of the eating session may look like a crime scene!!!!!

idiotwind
11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
So a month or so on and good progress, hopefully. They are now (and bloody **** it took a lot of work to get this far!) happily feeding from our fingers (and occasionally on our fingers!). Still a bit wary if you make movements toward them but they will come right over to be fed. Colours are changing a lot and they are moulting heavily at the moment and seem a bit grumpy. Mixed progress on te veg front, they eat spinach and kale happily but still won't take carrot.
I presume the next step should be trying to get them to step up?

Will post some new photos soon.
Thanks,
Ed

linda040899
11-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Sounds like you are making progress, even though it may be a bit slower than you would have expected. :) The fact that they will eat from your fingers is major, however, you may find that they won't mind sitting on your hand but won't like to be touched. Each parrot is different and we simply have to respect their wishes.

You might want to try using a wooden dowel for them to learn step up onto. A perch is considerably less threatening and they already know what it is and what to expect. They may not take to it right away but just be patient.

As for the carrot, try offering it in different cuts. None of mine will eat carrot chunks but they all LOVE carrot strings because they are also see as an edible "play toy"! Half the battle is finding out what will catch their interest.