PDA

View Full Version : lovebirds

peteandtilly
10-10-2014, 07:09 AM
i have a brother and sister that have been having babies for years, when i got them i was told they were brothers, after a dna test i found out the were male and female,i i tried separating them but they have been together since birth and are very bonded. i have 15 babies from them over the last few years, i have heard it is ok for brother and sister to breed as long as the parents are unrelated. what i do is when i take the babies out of the parents cage i get them dna'd and the boys go together and the girls go together, all the boys i have ever put together have paired up and are bonded pairs, i have 3 girls that were together for about a year and then one started fighting with the others so now one girl is by herself and 2 are together in another cage, sorry long story lol, i am thinking about getting a very large inside aviary for them, my question is will the pairs stay pairs or will the boy pairs decide they want a girl?? what do you think?

linda040899
10-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Depends on the individual lovebirds. Bonded pairs tend to stay together but I've seen that subject to change. If the aviary is large enough so that all have their own space, it would be worth a try. Just remember that once you set up a flight, you normally can't add more birds to the flight without the existing residents attacking/killing the newcomer.

peteandtilly
10-10-2014, 10:38 AM
what if more babies are born to the parrents in the aviary , are they safe??

peteandtilly
10-10-2014, 10:40 AM
LOVEbirds can be so mean sometimes lol , especially the girls!!

linda040899
10-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Babies are usually safe in an aviary, as long as there's plenty of space between where they are and where the other lovebirds are. I had 2 pairs and an extra hen in one flight and had 3 boxes, each strategically placed at the same height but on different walls. Babies soon learned where the "boundaries" were and I had no injuries. However, again, this depends on the individual birds and pairs.

Lovebird????? Lovebrat is a better description!!! And, yes, those hens can be absolutely brutal!!!!!