PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a first time lovebird owner?

miniprof
10-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Hello everyone! I'm Jo, and I'm going to be picking up a new lovebird in the next week or so. I'm terribly excited, and I've been reading up on every resource I can get my hands on, but I'd love some advice and reassurance on my specific situation, if anybody could offer it!

As a kid I've owned birds before -- a pair of budgies (not hand tamed) and a parrotlet (hand tamed), the latter of which unfortunately passed away very young due to unknown factors. (We suspect paint fumes, because my mom was oil painting.) However, this will be my first pet bird as an adult, and I want to make sure I do everything possible to keep my bird happy and healthy!

Here's my future lovebird, Tip:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/dc1cbd7fca32f12356ec3ac526c06656/tumblr_nd174cj1GO1rti5ejo1_1280.jpg

It's been nearly a month since I put down a deposit on the baby! I've been in touch with the breeder since Tip was only a little bit bigger than this:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/a8723e799bdd9cd8770816309aefd301/tumblr_nc5pd8vjSO1rti5ejo1_1280.jpg

This has given me plenty of time to think and rethink bird ownership. I've got a lot of things already set up and waiting for Tip's arrival. However, there are a few things specific to my situation that I really want to check on, and I'm getting pretty nervous to make sure I don't mess up. I think I'm particularly anxious because we had a bad pet bird mishap when I was young, and I'm afraid of making a silly mistake again.

If anybody can give me their thoughts on these issues, I'd be grateful!

I do own two cats. Neither are enormously active, but I will obviously be very careful to monitor the attention that they pay to Tip while the bird is in its cage, and they will be kept out of the room when Tip is enjoying out of cage time. I've read what I can about the experiences of people who keep both birds and other animals. However, any further advice from bird owners who have lived with both birds and cats would be very much appreciated!
At the moment, I am in a fairly small (two bedroom) flat. My partner and I have just bought a house and are currently preparing to move. The original plan was that I would not be bringing Tip home until the new house is ready, but the breeder is now pressuring me to pick up the bird ASAP, because it looks like it is trying to either bond or start fighting with its remaining sibling. The breeder says that it should be fine to have the bird in the small flat for a couple of weeks, especially since it's still a baby so won't need huge amounts of space. It will also have a full sized cage, so that won't be an issue. It does worry me a bit, though, especially since it limits the ability to separate the bird and cats until the house is ready. Should I trust the breeder that this will be better than leaving Tip with its sibling for another week or two?
I work five days a week. My schedule isn't terrible, but it's strange: there are days when I don't have to leave for the office until noon or later, but there are also days when I can't come home until after 8pm. I am home much of the day most weekends, though. I am worried about making sure that I get enough time with Tip, and ways of making that fit around my work schedule.

Thanks for reading this monster of a post! Here is another baby picture of Tip and its siblings to reward anybody who got all the way through.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/a36fe396b3596b4c75ed57357aeed188/tumblr_ncil4qZRWz1rti5ejo1_1280.jpg

I'll appreciate any advice I can get!

linda040899
10-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Tip is a gorgeous medium pied green peachfaced lovie! Before I make any comments whatsoever, how old is tip as of today? Are the photos very recent?

The reason for the question is the length of the tail indicates less than 6 weeks old in the photos. The last feathers to reach full length are the tail feathers and Tips are too short to be 6 weeks old, at least in the pics you have shared with us! Parent raised lovebirds are out of the nest box at age 6 weeks and dad teaches them to eat. That takes about 2 weeks. I keep my babies another week just to ensure that the baby doesn't revert to needing help eating. This can become life threatening in 72 hours if the baby doesn't get enough food.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
10-10-2014, 07:20 PM
What a sweetie! so cute!

I would definitely talk to the breeder about the concerns linda brought up. It would be devastating to lose a lovie because they weren't confident eaters yet.

How big if your full size cage? You have cuttlebone and chew toys and different width perches? Do you plan to clip the flights?

miniprof
10-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Tip is a gorgeous medium pied green peachfaced lovie! Before I make any comments whatsoever, how old is tip as of today? Are the photos very recent?

The reason for the question is the length of the tail indicates less than 6 weeks old in the photos. The last feathers to reach full length are the tail feathers and Tips are too short to be 6 weeks old, at least in the pics you have shared with us! Parent raised lovebirds are out of the nest box at age 6 weeks and dad teaches them to eat. That takes about 2 weeks. I keep my babies another week just to ensure that the baby doesn't revert to needing help eating. This can become life threatening in 72 hours if the baby doesn't get enough food.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, those pictures are a bit out of date -- Tip is about 8 weeks old now, and was born on or around the 19th of August. She's* been hand-raised since about September 2.

*(Tip hasn't been officially sexed but the breeder claims to be about 90% positive that it's a girl!)

miniprof
10-12-2014, 03:03 PM
What a sweetie! so cute!

I would definitely talk to the breeder about the concerns linda brought up. It would be devastating to lose a lovie because they weren't confident eaters yet.

How big if your full size cage? You have cuttlebone and chew toys and different width perches? Do you plan to clip the flights?

The cage is a Hagen Vision, the largest available, so 74.9 x 38.1 x 92.7 cm (with bar spacing about 1cm). The included perches are of variable width, but I've added in a few additional perches with different widths as well.

I've also gotten a cuttlebone and some chew toys -- wood, cotton, sisal, etc. One of my main worries was not having enough toys for the bird!

michael
10-12-2014, 05:54 PM
[snip]........ It does worry me a bit, though, especially since it limits the ability to separate the bird and cats until the house is ready. .......

Hi Jo and Tip. Welcome to Lovebirdsplus! .. My only concern from what i've read so far is the need to keep cats and bird separated, especially during times their unsupervised. No matter how docile your cats may appear in the same area, by instinct they can become sudden predators. And even though your new Vision cage bar spacing is only 1 cm (about 1/2 inch), cats are fully adept at hooking their claws into a small parrot thus pulling it through the cage bars. I've seen the results first hand, and it is quite alarming when all you find is a pile of feathers outside an otherwise secured, yet empty cage. As for all those cute cat/bird Youtube videos... I can count just as many if not more of where such instances ended in tragedy. .. Wish you's the best. Keep us posted, And thanks for sharing Tip and family. .......:)

miniprof
10-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Hi Jo and Tip. Welcome to Lovebirdsplus! .. My only concern from what i've read so far is the need to keep cats and bird separated, especially during times their unsupervised. No matter how docile your cats may appear in the same area, by instinct they can become sudden predators. And even though your new Vision cage bar spacing is only 1 cm (about 1/2 inch), cats are fully adept at hooking their claws into a small parrot thus pulling it through the cage bars. I've seen the results first hand, and it is quite alarming when all you find is a pile of feathers outside an otherwise secured, yet empty cage. As for all those cute cat/bird Youtube videos... I can count just as many if not more of where such instances ended in tragedy. .. Wish you's the best. Keep us posted, And thanks for sharing Tip and family. .......:)

Yes, I think I'm very afraid of the cat's instincts taking over while I'm not around to supervise. I am going to find a way to ensure that the cats cannot be around the bird while I'm not there to keep an eye on them. In the new house this will be easy, because the bird can pretty much have its own room, but I think for a week or two I can keep the bird in the bedroom and just limit cat access during the day.

Thanks for the warning. I'm not surprised to hear about the cute cat/bird Youtube videos ... I certainly have no illusions about that sort of utopian household!

linda040899
10-13-2014, 05:23 AM
Eight weeks is too young for a hand fed baby lovebird to go to a hew home unless you could hand feed if it became necessary. I would wait at least another week, possibly 2, before you bring Tip home. I'm offering this as an experienced breeder/hand feeder. Perhaps offer the breeder a few extra dollars to keep him/her until age is between 9-10 weeks.

Should you get a negative response, we can help you here but it would be better if the breeder does the right thing.

miniprof
10-13-2014, 05:36 AM
Eight weeks is too young for a hand fed baby lovebird to go to a hew home unless you could hand feed if it became necessary. I would wait at least another week, possibly 2, before you bring Tip home. I'm offering this as an experienced breeder/hand feeder. Perhaps offer the breeder a few extra dollars to keep him/her until age is between 9-10 weeks.

Should you get a negative response, we can help you here but it would be better if the breeder does the right thing.

Thank you so much for the response! I will check with the breeder and see what she thinks. I'll keep the thread updated.

Pips mom
10-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Congrats! What a beautiful little lovie!! I personally, do not believe in having cats & birds in the same household, BUT.......I've seen many people who've done it without an issue. I think also if the cat is getting older and less active, it usually won't bother with the trouble of getting to the bird, but it's still a chance I wouldn't take! I hope you've also considered getting rid of all teflon pans. There are lots of great choices out there now to replace teflon pans, AND, it's also alot healthier for YOU! Walmart carries a ceramic coated pan that's PTFE and PFOA free that's pretty cheap, I think I got the regular size frying pan for 9 or 10 bucks for my niece. I have the green pans myself. Even paint now, they have no VOC paint that has very minimal smell! I'm sure the best advice so far here is Linda's. How many times we've seen people on here with babies who've been brought to their new home too soon! I'm sure Linda has saved many a lovebird's life on this forum, and if it was me, I'd want to be sure the baby is ready to come home! Also........any type of toys with stringy ropes I'd avoid. Birds have been known to chew them and ingest it. I still have the rope perches, only just watch for them becoming frayed or chewed up, and if this is a girl, I'd also stay away from the cozy or happy huts. Chew toys like this one........http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16407
and fun toys, like swings, are good choices for lovebirds! Also bouncy boings, these are Pip's favorites!

momo
10-23-2014, 09:00 PM
The only thing I have to add in addition to what's been said.. Invest in a good vacuum cleaner..

After all these years, I am still so surprised at the mess the small ones love to make. I find seed in the most strangest places.