PDA

View Full Version : Everything to know about having Lovebirds as pets!

Ohhleelee
10-12-2014, 03:03 PM
So, i have never owned a bird before as a pet.
What information do i need to know?
I am wanting to keep them outside, with the possibility of mpving them into the shed when it gets colder through winter.

Thanks!!

Maxie
10-14-2014, 10:33 AM
With all due respect, if you plan on keeping these precious angels in sheds and outdoors, I don't think a parrot is the right choice of pet for you.

linda040899
10-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Please tell us more about what you are thinking as far as keeping lovebirds. Are you looking at one, a couple, more than that? Are you looking for tame ones, breeders?

I'm from Florida, USA and we have a fairly mild climate here. Many breeders keep their parrots outside but care has to be taken to protect them from natural predators. With small parrots, snakes are a big concern. I've seen smaller snakes squeeze thought 1/2" x 12" welded wire and then the birds inside are most likely to become a meal. This is a big concern outside. Additionally, shelter from too much sun, heavy rain and cold in the winter are other concerns.

Please share a bit more so we can give you better answers.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
10-14-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm having a hard time visualizing keeping lovebirds outside as pets. I know people do, but they seem to be more "decorative" like fish than as pets. My lovies are inside with me, but I only have two. Those that have them outside are usually using them for breeding or an outdoor aviary. The birds are out of direct sun/wind is important. Protected from the elements is a big deal. Whether they will be safe from predators is also important. Will you be able to feed/water them without them escaping? Will you be able to clean up after them easily?

Lovebirds are LOUD and if you have several, they will make a racket. Will your neighbors object?

Pips mom
10-16-2014, 10:45 PM
With all due respect, if you plan on keeping these precious angels in sheds and outdoors, I don't think a parrot is the right choice of pet for you.

I tend to agree with this..........my birds really love being with me! They want to be loved and in a home where they are warm and cozy! I know some people have outdoor aviaries, but if you are in a location where it gets cold in winter, most birds/parrots are from tropical areas and really need to be in a warmer environment when it gets cold out. I know this is not the case for them all, but for alot of them, and like the others said......outdoors there are predators!