PDA

View Full Version : New lovebird owner

niksie
10-15-2014, 03:02 PM
I know alot of these questions have been asked before so I apologise.
Our family bought home a 14 week old Fishers lovebird (named Loki) 4 days ago. Its mainly my 14 year old sons bird. I have a few questions, some probably quite silly but I'm not going to learn if I don't ask.. It was bought as a handraised from a pet/produce place.
My son has been playing the blinking game with it and whistling when it squawks. We have been putting veg and fruig on our hands and holding it there for about 10 mins twice a day. Are we on the right track. Loki will initially climb around when we do that but then sits still.

Also Loki has these crazy bursts where it squarks and sticks its beak on anything it can...is this normal.

thanks in advance.
Niksie

linda040899
10-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community and congratulations on your new young lovebird!

Even if your baby was handraised, going to a new home will cause Loki to be fearful until he learns that you mean him no harm. You know you won't hurt him but he has to learn that through experience. That takes time and patience. Sounds like you are making some headway, especially after only 4 days. Responding to his chirping/whistling is a good thing. Parrots communicate through contact calls and he hears your responses as answers.

In order to eat the fruits/veggies that you are offering, he has to recognize them as food/edible. You can try eating a bit of what you are offering and let him watch while you eat. Lovebirds are naturally curious and he will want to see what it is that you are eating. :)

Hope this helps and by all means, ask questions. That's why we are here. :)