PDA

View Full Version : Full Spectrum Lighting

Wheives
12-09-2014, 12:21 AM
I have been reading alot about the benefits from full spectrum lighting if your birds do not get exposed to sunlight. Does anyone use these bulbs? And if so, were can you buy them locally in a store rather than offline. They are pretty expensive too!!

Are they really worth the money and use? Also what kind and wattage should be used if I do decided and try them. I see they make regular size bulbs that can be placed in your ceiling fixtures...but it says that the closer to the cage the fixture is, the better. Anyone have any idea or input on this????

linda040899
12-09-2014, 08:12 AM
True full spectrum lighting for parrots is almost impossible to find in local stores. You may have to go to a lighting store and you may not find the right color there, either. This is where I order what I need and yes, it does seem to make a difference: http://www.avitec.com/category-s/88.htm Light bulb color is 5500K and that's what you have to pay attention to. For my ceiling/fan lights, I use daylight, which is 5000K or 6000K, depending on what you can find. Soft white is only 2700K and I don't like that anywhere in my home, regardless!

Z28Taxman
12-09-2014, 11:52 AM
True full spectrum lighting for parrots is almost impossible to find in local stores. You may have to go to a lighting store and you may not find the right color there, either. This is where I order what I need and yes, it does seem to make a difference: http://www.avitec.com/category-s/88.htm Light bulb color is 5500K and that's what you have to pay attention to. For my ceiling/fan lights, I use daylight, which is 5000K or 6000K, depending on what you can find. Soft white is only 2700K and I don't like that anywhere in my home, regardless!

I have the 18" version of that light and Ditto loves it. I have it hanging on the wall just above the cage and a perch below it so he can sit about 15 inches away. He'll take one of his afternoon naps there bathing in the "sun"! :happy:

And when it's time to replace the bulb with a new one he gets supercharged ( i'm convinced he's solar powered). :rofl: