PDA

View Full Version : Need a Little Help

Tallyollyopia
12-20-2014, 07:34 AM
To start with, I have to explain the situation. I have two peach-faced lovebirds, Gully and Fern, and I've had them for a little over a year. I got them because they were being passed around my grandma's church, and she remembered that I liked birds. Their breeder (who I eventually managed to track down in an effort to discover how old the birds are) was not a very good one. He picked which birds went into the cage by which birds ended up in his net. (To be entirely fair, it was his first time breeding birds of any kind, and he didn't expect the flock to grow quite so quickly.)

Now: the breeder wants the birds back. I don't know why, I don't care, but my roommates are trying to talk me into getting rid of the birds, and I need some solid, logical (they're not listening to my emotions on this one) arguments as to why the birds are better off with me than they are with the breeder.

Maxie
12-20-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd find new roommates :whistle:

HaleBoppPeachyluv
12-22-2014, 11:45 AM
What kind of person gives up pets to be passed around by strangers and then when they find some stability with someone who "likes birds" then demands them back?

Was there an agreement earlier that made the birds going out a temporary situation? If no, and I knew I had time, space, and money to care for them, then I would keep them. Especially if this breeder is not experienced.

linda040899
12-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Are the birds banded? If not, the breeder can't prove they are his so there's no way I would even consider giving them back. He didn't care about them then, why all of a sudden now?

Tallyollyopia
01-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Are the birds banded? If not, the breeder can't prove they are his so there's no way I would even consider giving them back. He didn't care about them then, why all of a sudden now?

No, they're not banded, and that is a darn good question.

Tallyollyopia
01-19-2015, 10:47 PM
I know it's been a while since I posted, but it took time to fix the issue. Long story short: I told my roommates that if they get rid of my birds I'll get rid of their cat, and I told the breeder that whatever he thinks the birds are mine now and if he tries to fight me on this I will nail him to the wall. :)

linda040899
01-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Good for you! Touche! I'm really happy this is working out for you. :)

The lovebirds aren't banded so there's no way the breeder can definitively prove they are his. It's not a can of worms he wants to open.