PDA

View Full Version : My Lovebird and strange sound like a frog

shaqun
01-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Hello to everyone from Turkey!,
I have my lovebird for 10 days now, I bought it 10 days ago from a petshop and this is the first time I got a lovebird, I believe she is 6-7 month old, I and petshop believes it is a female which i am not sure. I raised a budgie before.

I recorded a video, my lovebird makes a strange sound when she out of her cage, she makes a weird sound like a frog, I think she tries to speak or calls for male something. I couldnt understand, what you guys say ? :)

I also would like to ask a few questions;
1. She flys and comes to my hand to eat when I put her food on to my hand but she scares from my hand when I want to touch her however she eates from my hand but I couldnt manage to touch her in these 10 days. She also flys and lands to my head sometimes. Do I need to do something else to touch her ?

2. When I speak to her, she responds to me with weird sounds, like in the video. Is it normal and a good improvement ?

3. She scares from a little apple and banana I put on her cage and she never eat them yet. Never even tried a single bite. ?

Here is the video when she makes that thick sound like a frog and moves her head :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcVd8M9EkiE

Iosevus
01-20-2015, 11:49 PM
When I first got my Lovie, he would climb on my shoulder and head from day one, but didn't like my hands much for awhile. Now, 7 months later, I can hardly keep him off my fingers. I would offer food directly when he was on my shoulder, not just putting food in my hand, but giving it to him from time to time. I'm not sure how much that helped, but I think it got him used to my hands. Patience and gentle persistence is the real key.

My lovie was scared of all sorts of foods as well and, while he isn't scared of food anymore, he does seem to prefer vegetables far more than fruit. But he wouldn't try anything new until he trusted me, which just took time together.

As for the sound, I couldn't tell you, but the forum is full of knowledgeable people. I'm new to having a lovebird myself, but I know when I first started asking questions, hearing about other peoples experiences helped. So I hope it helped in some way, but as everyone says, all Lovebirds are different and she may never learn to like your hands.

shaqun
01-23-2015, 11:56 AM
When I first got my Lovie, he would climb on my shoulder and head from day one, but didn't like my hands much for awhile. Now, 7 months later, I can hardly keep him off my fingers. I would offer food directly when he was on my shoulder, not just putting food in my hand, but giving it to him from time to time. I'm not sure how much that helped, but I think it got him used to my hands. Patience and gentle persistence is the real key.

My lovie was scared of all sorts of foods as well and, while he isn't scared of food anymore, he does seem to prefer vegetables far more than fruit. But he wouldn't try anything new until he trusted me, which just took time together.

As for the sound, I couldn't tell you, but the forum is full of knowledgeable people. I'm new to having a lovebird myself, but I know when I first started asking questions, hearing about other peoples experiences helped. So I hope it helped in some way, but as everyone says, all Lovebirds are different and she may never learn to like your hands.

Thanks. Today she started to eat the apple which I placed it 3-4 days ago into her cage. This is going to take some months as she is so wild. I'm very gentle with her and I believe one day she will trust me.

linda040899
01-23-2015, 12:52 PM
It's my firm belief that all creatures will respond to love and kindness! Exactly what the level of trust will be remains to be seen, I agree. However, you will have a relationship, regardless of how wild she/he may be right now. :)