PDA

View Full Version : Lovie newbie questions: gender / separation / what is considered fighting

LuLu
03-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Hi there, new to the forum and new lovie owner. I bought my first (Chirico) about 2-1/2 weeks ago and my second (Verde) about 1 week ago. Chirico is about 11 weeks old and Verde about 15. I am not sure the gender of either and am wondering if it is something I need to find out. They were from the same breeder, but were not kept together so I was instructed to keep them separate for a few weeks while they get used to each other. I do bring them out together as Chirico's personality has really blossomed with the addition of Verde. He sings more and is generally more outgoing. They seem quite desperate to be near each other so I let them sit together (while I am watching) and play on the playground.
I am wondering:
A. Is it ok that I let them interact so soon or is it important that I actually keep them totally separate for 4 - 6 weeks as instructed.
B. While they are together, it has been cuddles and love about 75% of the time, and mild fighting (pecking beak to beak, some nipping at the feet, etc). Is this normal? It seems pretty harmless but I know they are prone to hurt each other.
C. Is it important to find out the gender as I understand female/female pairs can be quite dangerous (which is my ultimate worry and the basis for all three questions).

Thank you in advance!
Chirico is the yellow (Lutino I was told) and Verde the green (not sure the type)
http://s17.postimg.org/mc0fx3kvf/Full_Size_Render_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/mc0fx3kvf/)
http://s17.postimg.org/884kopdnv/Full_Size_Render_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/884kopdnv/)
http://s17.postimg.org/4ahazaquj/Full_Size_Render_3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4ahazaquj/)

linda040899
03-15-2015, 11:47 PM
Since both of your new lovebirds are young, you aren't going to see hostile behavior immediately. They won't be sexually mature until they are between 5-6 months of age. I would watch the nipping/aggressive behavior between them and you can keep them in separate cages, side by side, until they get to know each other better. I would supervise out of cage time together just to make sure no one gets hurt.

Lutino is a sex linked mutation so if the breeder can tell you what muations the parents are, the Lutino can usually be genetically sexed. Only certain pairings will produce a male. For a male, mom would have to be a Lutino and dad would either have to be a Lutino or carry the gene. If neither parent is Lutino, dad passed the gene and your Lutino would be a female. You other lovebird will most likely have to be DNA sexed to determine gender. Since you have 2, it's important that you find out.

"Pairs" of males will usually get along very well. With hens, it can go either way. I have pairs of hens that get along very well and I have hens that cannot be caged with other hens. It depends on the individual bird.

Hope this is helpful.

LuLu
03-16-2015, 12:59 AM
Hi Linda,

Thank you, this is helpful! Just want to make sure I do what I can for them to start off on the right foot.

Thanks again,

LuLu

linda040899
03-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Does Chirico have light yellow feathering or more like a darker lemon colored feathering?

LuLu
03-16-2015, 08:49 AM
I would say darker lemon.

linda040899
03-16-2015, 08:52 AM
OK. Lutino is correct then. It's hard to tell color from the photos, which is probably the fault of the computer monitor I'm using. Mine at home is color adjusted. I'm at work and this one is not.

LuLu
03-16-2015, 08:58 AM
The photos may also be a bit washed out. His tail is a bit orange also.
I have read in other threads you recommend feather DNA testing. Do you think this is something that can be done by a newbie? I am worried about not plucking them correctly/causing too much discomfort.

linda040899
03-16-2015, 09:24 AM
DNA feather sexing is actually easier than blood testing. You need 5 freshly plucked chest feathers and gender can be determined from the feather DNA. Much easier than short clipping a nail and I think it might be a bit more accurate because a blood test can be contaminated if the nail isn't properly cleaned and gender will come back incorrect.

LuLu
03-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Seems like Chirico is a hen based on the info I have received from the breeder. Also, saw him/her running around on top of the cage doing what I believe is female mating behavior, but 11 weeks seems early to display that type of behavior.
Either way I have ordered two feather DNA sexing kits.

Not to put the cart before the horse, if it turns out I have two hens, is it simply safer to plan on keeping them in separate cages permanently? I don't think I could live with myself if one of them seriously hurt the other while I was at work. During their supervised playtime, they are grooming and cuddly, but break out into little nipping fits and go for each others feet.

Also, if they are in separate cages, do they still provide enough companionship for each other while I am out?

Thanks for the advice, feeling a little in over my head.

linda040899
03-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Side by side cages is OK for companionship while you are out. You could easily have 2 hens and it's best to verify gender so you know for sure. You usually don't see sexual behavior quite this young, although the older one is most likely going to start the first moult shortly - 16 weeks.

As long as you can supervise their together time, they should be OK. I have a pair of hens that love each other and every once in a while, one of them shows a minor injury. Separating them causes much stress so I just keep a close eye on them.

LuLu
03-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Still waiting on the DNA tests to arrive! but verde seems to have taken things into his/her own hands. I've come home twice to find them in the same cage and realized that verde learned how to open both cages to get into Iko's. I put little clips on the cage doors but they were so distraught that I let them share a cage.

They seem to be getting along well, but definitely do their fair share of beak fencing and what looks like gentle feet nibbling. It's the type of nibbling they would do on their own feet but to each other.

They bathe together, eat together, always want to be out together, looks like they feed each other, so I am wondering if the small amount of fighting is normal. It only lasts a few seconds then they go back to preening. Usually happens over the toys or treats.

I guess I'm just not sure what is normal, and if there should be zero fighting for them to be a pair. Don't want to come home to a hurt bird, but also feel like I want to let them be together as they are so stressed when separate.