PDA

View Full Version : How do trainers do it???

juhson
03-17-2015, 05:23 PM
So I was watching some Youtube videos to help me with me taming journey for Mango. Now, I know from experience with other birds that it can be a very long process. But there are so many videos claiming they calmed their bird down in ONE DAY and then fully tamed them in as short as FIVE DAYS. How on earth do they do this? I know of someone who told me their dad was a bird whisperer and could tame any bird in a matter of minutes. I'm not saying I'm going to try to rush my training and taming, but I'm just curious how they do things like this. :confused:

Maxie
03-17-2015, 08:15 PM
I was wondering the same thing last year when I got Max...lol. I don't believe any of that stuff. I think building a trusting bond with any pet takes time, love, patience and kindness. From my experience with Max, it didn't take much time at all for him to trust all of us in the family. He goes to all of us and cuddles with all of us too. He knows we wouldn't do anything to hurt him and loves us all as we love him.

juhson
03-17-2015, 10:13 PM
I was wondering the same thing last year when I got Max...lol. I don't believe any of that stuff. I think building a trusting bond with any pet takes time, love, patience and kindness. From my experience with Max, it didn't take much time at all for him to trust all of us in the family. He goes to all of us and cuddles with all of us too. He knows we wouldn't do anything to hurt him and loves us all as we love him.

Yes, that does make sense... I feel like the "bond" these trainers form are fear based... but I was wondering if someone on here knew something else, maybe a trainer would be on here :) But I agree with you!

linda040899
03-18-2015, 04:57 AM
The term is desensitization and, yes, it can be done in one day but it simply desensitizes the bird to whatever the fear happens to be. You force the bird, for lack of a better word, to accept an action of which it's afraid.

This is not a proper technique and I've gotten into several discussions with some of these individuals and they finally admitted that there's no trust involved. You are simply forcing an action on the parrot. You are not building a trust relationship, just acceptance. I want my parrots to want to be with me because they have experienced that I mean them no harm and that takes time but it's the right way.

juhson
03-18-2015, 07:27 AM
The term is desensitization and, yes, it can be done in one day but it simply desensitizes the bird to whatever the fear happens to be. You force the bird, for lack of a better word, to accept an action of which it's afraid.

This is not a proper technique and I've gotten into several discussions with some of these individuals and they finally admitted that there's no trust involved. You are simply forcing an action on the parrot. You are not building a trust relationship, just acceptance. I want my parrots to want to be with me because they have experienced that I mean them no harm and that takes time but it's the right way.
Ok thank you! I had a feeling this had to be it, otherwise all the forums would be preaching it.

linda040899
03-18-2015, 08:03 AM
One thing you have to remember about parrots. Even though they live in captivity (for lack of a better word), they are still wild creatures and will never be as domesticated as cats or dogs. Sometimes we don't understand our feathered friends and the solution can be as easy as thinking about what's really going on. :)