PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Tell if I'm Freaking Out my Bird or Not?

juhson
03-20-2015, 01:39 PM
I feel like my lovebird is very curious and courageous, but I honestly can't tell if I'm scaring him to death and he's just standing his ground, or if he is just a little nervous. Basically, the only time I hear him chirp is when my hand is in the cage. (I've only had him for 5 days so it seems normal that he doesn't chirp much) So he'll initially fly to the corner away from my hand and chirp, but then after he calms down he comes back closer to my hand, but he doesn't stop screaming. He's not shaking excessively, he's not in that panicked "skinny bird" mode, just regular fluffiness, but he keeps his distance and continues screaming for the majority of the time my hand is inside the cage. After I remove my hand he stops. So I don't know if he is scared to death and that's why he screams. I don't want to give him a heart attack.

Maxie
03-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Lol...your bird is terrified of your hands that's why he screams when your hands are in the cage. You've only had him for five days so it's normal. When I got Max, he would freak out whenever I put my hand in the cage to cage his food and water. Over time, he trusted that my hands meant no harm and now he falls asleep in the palm of my hand :).
So, give your little bird time to adjust to his new home, spend a lot of time around his cage so he builds a strong trusting bond with you and before you know it, you'll have a lovebird glued to you :)

juhson
03-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Lol...your bird is terrified of your hands that's why he screams when your hands are in the cage. You've only had him for five days so it's normal. When I got Max, he would freak out whenever I put my hand in the cage to cage his food and water. Over time, he trusted that my hands meant no harm and now he falls asleep in the palm of my hand :).
So, give your little bird time to adjust to his new home, spend a lot of time around his cage so he builds a strong trusting bond with you and before you know it, you'll have a lovebird glued to you :)
I figured as much it was just confusing because he came back towards my hand. Normally I'd expect them to stay as far away as possible if they're scared but, lovebirds are an interesting species. I have another concern, his cage is right next to my cockatiels cage, I noticed he really likes him and stays bear him when he can, getting really comfortable and happy. Will that make taming him longer?

linda040899
03-23-2015, 08:19 AM
The key to taming any parrot is attention, attention and more attention. Lovebirds, in particular, are extremely social. If he's not getting attention from you, the Tiel is close at hand. Will it take longer? Not necessarily. :)

juhson
03-23-2015, 08:01 PM
The key to taming any parrot is attention, attention and more attention. Lovebirds, in particular, are extremely social. If he's not getting attention from you, the Tiel is close at hand. Will it take longer? Not necessarily. :)
Thank you!!! :)