PDA

View Full Version : Back Again, More Help Needed

juhson
04-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Hey guys so I have had my lutino lovie for about a month now and have made almost NO progress. Some days I think things are going well, as he'll accept millet with my hand being very close, but then the next day he's back to running away. I can't anywhere close to him with my hands without him running as far away as possible. Help please :(

linda040899
04-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Many parrots just don't like human hands and you are putting yours inside HIS home. :) Think about how you would feel if you were in his position.

Sometimes trust can take longer with some birds than with others. I would continue to interact with him from outside of his cage. If you haven't tried it yet, sit by his cage and eat a meal. If his food dish happens to be on the same side you are on, he should eventually come over to his food dish and eat with you. Lovebirds are very social and he simply needs to learn by experience that he is not your next meal. Birds are normally prey, unless they are raptors, so his reaction to a new situation is to be expected. Love, kindness and patience will get you what you want.

By the way, Lutino is one of my favorite colors. The reddish peach mask against that lemon yellow coloring is really striking!

Maxie
04-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Listen to what Linda says and before you know it, you'll have a lovebird glued to you :happy::happy: It worked with me and Max :)

mstomcat65
04-11-2015, 07:32 PM
i also agree with giving it time... i couldn't even get close to lacey with my hands for about 4 months after i got her... took her another couple months after that for her to totally accept them. Now i can't keep her out of my hands, loves to take naps every day a few times a day :)

juhson
04-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Many parrots just don't like human hands and you are putting yours inside HIS home. :) Think about how you would feel if you were in his position.

Sometimes trust can take longer with some birds than with others. I would continue to interact with him from outside of his cage. If you haven't tried it yet, sit by his cage and eat a meal. If his food dish happens to be on the same side you are on, he should eventually come over to his food dish and eat with you. Lovebirds are very social and he simply needs to learn by experience that he is not your next meal. Birds are normally prey, unless they are raptors, so his reaction to a new situation is to be expected. Love, kindness and patience will get you what you want.

By the way, Lutino is one of my favorite colors. The reddish peach mask against that lemon yellow coloring is really striking!

Listen to what Linda says and before you know it, you'll have a lovebird glued to you :happy::happy: It worked with me and Max :)

i also agree with giving it time... i couldn't even get close to lacey with my hands for about 4 months after i got her... took her another couple months after that for her to totally accept them. Now i can't keep her out of my hands, loves to take naps every day a few times a day :)
Thank tou everyone for the encouragement! :) And yes, lutino is a beautiful color!!!! Probably my favorite on the lovebirds.