PDA

View Full Version : Bees

Tallyollyopia
04-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Okay, I have two peach-faced lovebirds--Gully and Fern--and I recently discovered that my roommates have been putting their cage on the front porch. There's nothing wrong with that (even if their motives weren't exactly altruistic), and there's not much that can get through the bars of the cage to bother the birds--except for bees. The front porch is surrounded by flowering azaleas (except at the foot of the steps where it's got flowering clover), and the bees are everywhere. They tend to treat humans as mobile objects in the environment (they don't attack us), but is it all right for the birds to be out with the bees? I'd like to take them out to enjoy this fabulous weather--but is it safe?

linda040899
04-10-2015, 01:24 PM
When you say on the porch, is it enclosed or open? If the porch is screened in, the bees should not be an issue if there's no way to get through the screening.

If it's not screened in, perhaps you could get or create a screened in enclosure just to be on the safe side. I think bees see birds in the same manner that they see humans and as long as you don't bother them, they won't bother you. The bees are there for the pollen and that keeps their attention unless something bothers them to make them feel threatened.

Tallyollyopia
04-10-2015, 10:58 PM
The porch is open--wide open. The closest thing to a railing is the barrier of azalea bushes. How would I create a screened enclosure? (Please keep in mind that I'm a disaster with hammer, nails, or saw.)