PDA

View Full Version : I got an offer, not sure if I should take it?

juhson
04-16-2015, 10:26 AM
I recently got a new baby cockatiel, ADORABLE and BEAUTIFUL baby, that's for sure. His name is Appa.
http://i.imgur.com/Y1iQiXcm.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/RUQ0GBum.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JvfymWHm.jpg I love him so much! :D

Anyways, the breeder I bought Appa from also breeds lovebirds. She referred me to a very inexpensive vet in my area, and offered to pay for Appa's visit since she didn't take him to the vet before I bought him. Since the vet was so cheap, I decided I would bring Mango as well, as his beak was started to get a bit overgrown. The breeder kept on raving at how beautiful my lovebird was!

I had previously asked her about tips on taming my lovebird (who is 1 year old and parent raised) since she breeds them, so she knew about my predicament. She also asked the vet for tips too, and he told me that it is possible but it will take a very long time, so she gave me an offer: She would trade my lovebird for one of her baby, hand-raised lovebirds.
This way she would have a beautiful lovebird (turns out mine isn't just lutino, it is a lutino cinnamon opaline lovebird) to expand her color varieties, and I would have a sweet, tamed baby lovebird.

What are your opinions on this? Do you think I should trade Mango?
I am a little torn on this, as Mango is GORGEOUS and I've had him for a little over a month now, but I bought a lovebird with the intentions to love and cuddle on it. I would still love Mango and take care of him, but if I had the option to get a tame bird... I don't know.

linda040899
04-16-2015, 10:51 AM
No!!!

There are quite a few members here who can tell you it's very possible to tame a parent raised, older lovebird! It just takes time, patience and lots of love. How tame he could be remains to be seen but understand one thing. Baby birds grow up and many are not as loveable as they were before they matured.

I can see why the breeder wants Mango, especially after your mutation description. I would take my chances with what I have rather than a baby who will mature and then you have an unknown. One thing I've found with parent raised babies. They have learned how to be birds. You will socialize him and teach him to be a feathered pet.

juhson
04-16-2015, 11:13 AM
No!!!

There are quite a few members here who can tell you it's very possible to tame a parent raised, older lovebird! It just takes time, patience and lots of love. How tame he could be remains to be seen but understand one thing. Baby birds grow up and many are not as loveable as they were before they matured.

I can see why the breeder wants Mango, especially after your mutation description. I would take my chances with what I have rather than a baby who will mature and then you have an unknown. One thing I've found with parent raised babies. They have learned how to be birds. You will socialize him and teach him to be a feathered pet.
So even if I could a hand-fed baby, he could still grow up to be mean? (I plan on getting a male) How common is this?

I just want to see my options. I do love Mango, and if my parents didn't hate having animals in the house (barely got away with my birds and fish)
I would keep Mango, even if it was just for looks. But I really don't think I have the time it would require to tame him. I am in work and school, so often times I am away from home the majority of the day (but I still get home by 7:30 the latest, so I have time for my birds which are already tamed)
And it is not the same schedule every day. I am also trying to think of what would be best for Mango. If I'm not going to have enough time to tame him, I would want him to have a buddy, but my parents won't allow that. I don't want Mango to be lonely! :(

longobongo
04-16-2015, 01:26 PM
The thing about maintaining the "tameness" of a bird, is that it also requires some time. A hand-fed baby lovebird simply means that the baby lovebird is familiar with human beings and is used to being handled and touched. This does not take into account particular temperaments at all, as many adult lovebirds (who were at one time hand-fed babies) do not like hands and do not like to be touched, but still enjoy your company! If you were to get a hand-fed baby, you should do so with the understanding that the baby in question will grow into an adult lovebird, and that bird will have its own personality and preferences and wants/needs out of their relationship with you. This might mean that he grows into a little velcro-birdy that follows you around and sleeps in your shirt and lives for head scritches. However, this might also mean that the bird grows into an independent little guy who prefers to watch you from a distance while he explores the entire room. He might not enjoy being touched very much.

As an owner of 3 birds (one cockatiel and two lovies), I am lucky enough to have both types of bird I described above. My relationship with each of them is purely on their terms and is based entirely on what they're comfortable with (which sometimes leaves me hanging when I want cuddles or kisses). If I were you, I would not trade Mango. I say this because whether you have Mango or a new bird, cultivating and maintaining that bond is going to take time and effort, even if the baby was hand-raised. As Mango is already adjusting to living with you, you're already that much further ahead than you would be if you had a hand-raised baby.

Of course, the decision is yours. I understand the allure of a squishy baby birdy, but they do (quickly) grow into adults with needs and desires. Good luck!

Edit again!: I just want to say that, even if you traded Mango for a bird that was very affectionate and loving and cuddly with the breeder, does not guarantee that that bird will feel similarly about and to you. I have a lovebird who will put up with me without fault. I can cuddle her and kiss her and flip her on her back in my palm and swing her back and forth in my hair... It's ridiculous. My boyfriend, on the other hand, can't so much as look at her crooked without growls and lunging and aggression. (She has some hormone troubles!)

Edited to add: Appa is so, so soooo cuuuuuuute. Congrats on your little baby!

akki
04-16-2015, 02:26 PM
So even if I could a hand-fed baby, he could still grow up to be mean? (I plan on getting a male) How common is this?

I just want to see my options. I do love Mango, and if my parents didn't hate having animals in the house (barely got away with my birds and fish)
I would keep Mango, even if it was just for looks. But I really don't think I have the time it would require to tame him. I am in work and school, so often times I am away from home the majority of the day (but I still get home by 7:30 the latest, so I have time for my birds which are already tamed)
And it is not the same schedule every day. I am also trying to think of what would be best for Mango. If I'm not going to have enough time to tame him, I would want him to have a buddy, but my parents won't allow that. I don't want Mango to be lonely! :(

It's pretty common. There is no correlation whatsoever between handfeeding the baby and his tameness later in life. It's the time and love that counts.

I personally would not trade the bird, especially if it has already bonded with you. Did you hear the stories of lovebirds going in grief and mourning when their partner dies or disappears? Now, you are his partner. The breeder might be interested in giving you some suggestions of a mutation that would be a good combination with your bird and adopt one of your babies instead. So I would get a second bird :D and for your parents' information, two birds is more quiet than one :).

juhson
04-16-2015, 05:44 PM
The thing about maintaining the "tameness" of a bird, is that it also requires some time. A hand-fed baby lovebird simply means that the baby lovebird is familiar with human beings and is used to being handled and touched. This does not take into account particular temperaments at all, as many adult lovebirds (who were at one time hand-fed babies) do not like hands and do not like to be touched, but still enjoy your company! If you were to get a hand-fed baby, you should do so with the understanding that the baby in question will grow into an adult lovebird, and that bird will have its own personality and preferences and wants/needs out of their relationship with you. This might mean that he grows into a little velcro-birdy that follows you around and sleeps in your shirt and lives for head scritches. However, this might also mean that the bird grows into an independent little guy who prefers to watch you from a distance while he explores the entire room. He might not enjoy being touched very much.

As an owner of 3 birds (one cockatiel and two lovies), I am lucky enough to have both types of bird I described above. My relationship with each of them is purely on their terms and is based entirely on what they're comfortable with (which sometimes leaves me hanging when I want cuddles or kisses). If I were you, I would not trade Mango. I say this because whether you have Mango or a new bird, cultivating and maintaining that bond is going to take time and effort, even if the baby was hand-raised. As Mango is already adjusting to living with you, you're already that much further ahead than you would be if you had a hand-raised baby.

Of course, the decision is yours. I understand the allure of a squishy baby birdy, but they do (quickly) grow into adults with needs and desires. Good luck!

Edit again!: I just want to say that, even if you traded Mango for a bird that was very affectionate and loving and cuddly with the breeder, does not guarantee that that bird will feel similarly about and to you. I have a lovebird who will put up with me without fault. I can cuddle her and kiss her and flip her on her back in my palm and swing her back and forth in my hair... It's ridiculous. My boyfriend, on the other hand, can't so much as look at her crooked without growls and lunging and aggression. (She has some hormone troubles!)

Edited to add: Appa is so, so soooo cuuuuuuute. Congrats on your little baby!
Ok I see what you mean and thank you, I do love Appa, he's a sweetheart!

It's pretty common. There is no correlation whatsoever between handfeeding the baby and his tameness later in life. It's the time and love that counts.

I personally would not trade the bird, especially if it has already bonded with you. Did you hear the stories of lovebirds going in grief and mourning when their partner dies or disappears? Now, you are his partner. The breeder might be interested in giving you some suggestions of a mutation that would be a good combination with your bird and adopt one of your babies instead. So I would get a second bird :D and for your parents' information, two birds is more quiet than one :).
Ok thank you, you guys have convinced me to keep him! I don't know if I'm ready to be raising babies, but it is something I can consider later maybe!

Another thing, before the breeder offered me the trade, she told me that in order to stop him from being scared of my hand, to grab him with a towel and bring him into the bathroom, then to gently soak him down so he will be rendered helpless (escaping-wise) and then getting him on my hand. Is this a bad idea?

akki
04-16-2015, 05:59 PM
I somehow cringe at this advice - I think it will be doing more harm than good. Why don't you just offer him a millet or other food he won't resist from your hands? Is he fully flighted?

longobongo
04-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Another thing, before the breeder offered me the trade, she told me that in order to stop him from being scared of my hand, to grab him with a towel and bring him into the bathroom, then to gently soak him down so he will be rendered helpless (escaping-wise) and then getting him on my hand. Is this a bad idea?

I would definitely not wet him down. Some birds enjoy being wet, some don't - regardless, if he wants to be wet, it should be on his terms. If I were you, I would open his cage, and just leave it open. Close the door to the room, and see if he ventures out on his own. I did this with my first bird, and she did come around eventually.

That being said, I am guilty of toweling my first bird as well. I did move to an area where her cage wasn't accessible, and I let her crawl all over me. Now, if Bailey's not in her cage she's glued to my body. :)

juhson
04-16-2015, 08:28 PM
I would definitely not wet him down. Some birds enjoy being wet, some don't - regardless, if he wants to be wet, it should be on his terms. If I were you, I would open his cage, and just leave it open. Close the door to the room, and see if he ventures out on his own. I did this with my first bird, and she did come around eventually.

That being said, I am guilty of toweling my first bird as well. I did move to an area where her cage wasn't accessible, and I let her crawl all over me. Now, if Bailey's not in her cage she's glued to my body. :)
Ok thank you :)

linda040899
04-17-2015, 08:08 AM
You definitely don't want to go after him or grab him. This does not encourage trust, which is what you are trying to do. You want him to come to you because he wants to and that will happen once he realizes he's safe with you.

To make yourself more "inviting," shiny toys, millet, treats or things he might find interesting should be kept with you. Lovebirds are naturally curious so he will want to check out what you have that he wants to make his!

Pips mom
06-27-2015, 12:11 PM
I am against the trading of a bird. If you have the time and love to give to a bird, please keep the one you have! birds become very attached to their flock/people and to me it's like trading in a boyfriend/girlfried or spouse for something better. My lovebird is very tame, but still does not like hands.......he'll let me handle him (against his better judgement!) but he only gives in to it after I've caught him! Yet, besides the fact that he's not HAND tame, we have an amazing bond and I love this little guy, and no other bird, no matter much tamer it is, could ever replace him! This little guy you've given a home to is totally dependent on you for his life decisions.........do right by him! and I see now that you've decided to keep him. Good choice! I truly think down the road that you'll be happier knowing you didn't give him up!