PDA

View Full Version : Pellets vs. Seeds for Lovebirds

Julinka
07-16-2015, 02:43 PM
I might be getting a baby lovebird and would to hear other people's opinions on the seeds vs. pellets debate. I am thinking a pellet diet with some seeds and fresh fruits and veggies might be best but would like to hear what other lovebird owners find works best. Thanks. I've read that some species (cockatiels I think it was) developed health problems from a diet high in pellets.

akki
07-16-2015, 02:55 PM
I am from a pro-pellet camp, but I think I am a minority on this forum, but from a majority in others :). The risk of seed-only diet is vit A deficiency, kidney problems, under-nutrition, too much fat in their diet, with low energy levels and poor feather quality as a result. The problem with pellet only is of course the obvious - lack of variation, and over-nutrition.

I give my birds 50% in pellets (only organic), and 50% in seeds, dry or sprouted. My birds don't eat fruit and veggies, sometimes will nibble. If you decide to to go pellet route, please be careful, a lot of them contain artificial flavouring, colour, GMO products and god know what else. Go organic, price difference really isn't significant if you have just one bird.

I have had birds on seed-only diet, who I converted to pellets, and the results were so obvious in terms of feather improvement, higher energy levels and less frequent getting sick (yeast infections), that I never looked back.

akki
07-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Here is some scientific data on cockatiels and protein levels:

"While high dietary protein has been implicated in renal
dysfunction and gout in psittacines, studies of male
cockatiels (Nymphicus hollandicus) indicate that protein
levels of 20, 30 or even 70% do not result in renal insufficiency.32
However, 70% dietary protein is not recommended,
as excessively high protein is strongly correlated
with a significant increase in liver lesions.32"

Source: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/04nutrition1.pdf

I give pellets with higher protein content during moult, breeding and young birds <9 months old (18-20%), and outside these periods maintenance levels (14-16%), but they get only 50%, so in the end my birds end up in the range of 15% during breeding, and 12% during maintenance.

Julinka
07-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Thank you! That makes lots of sense to me. This baby will be weaned on pellets and fresh foods so it will probably get its first seeds from me. I will go with organic but can organic pellets be frozen?

akki
07-16-2015, 03:10 PM
I freeze everything, except for the seeds that I am going to sprout :) so yes, of course.
At the moment there are just two brands that are organic - harrison's and totally organic. Caitec and lafeber's isn't organic, but is GMO free. Lafeber contains too much sugars, so I give only seed balls as a treat, not the pellets. I am going to try out caitec, it's wheat and corn free, so I am really excited to see how that goes :).

Try to get as much as fresh food while the baby is still young - once they develop their eating habits, it's hard to get them on fruit and veggies.

Julinka
07-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Thank you!

I had one livebird and it took lots of work to get her to eat fruit and veggies, except for one-apples. She was crazy about apples and finally started eating pellets when she was 10. An old bird learned a new trick!

I think she was close to a year old when I got her and a bit set in her ways. They and parakeets are stubborn. My amazon literally runs to the other side of the cage when I offer her a pellet but she loves fresh food so I crush the pellets and sprinkle them over her food and she will eat them that way.

Thanks for your tips. The love bird breeder recommended Harrison's. And I am DEFINITELY getting the baby, a little blue one. :-)

Mummieeva
08-01-2015, 05:45 PM
A lovebirds diet needs to be no more then 30% pellets. Pellets are to pure and in large amount( feed mainly everyday) can cause liver damage. Lovebirds need seed,veggies,and fruits in diet. Same as they get in natural habitat. Carrots,broccoli,and peppers are a favorite for many birds. Fruits are harder but mine always loved pomegranate. Whole weed pasta and grains are good also. There is a recipe for birdy bread that even the pickest eaters love someplace on the site.

Steph

akki
08-01-2015, 07:07 PM
A lovebirds diet needs to be no more then 30% pellets. Pellets are to pure and in large amount( feed mainly everyday) can cause liver damage.
Steph

Do you have data on how much of what causes liver damage?