PDA

View Full Version : Some new owner questions :)

Kishiii
09-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Hey everyone!

I have an awesome new friend. His name is Buddha, and i have him for about a week. Its about 9 weeks old and very tame, he sleeps in my hands, and i learned him a song thats he is singing non stop (in my ears, too.. ouch). I am truely amazed at the smarts of this little one. I am already very in love, but i am a little bit worried about one thing. He (or she) doesnt like to be in its cage at all. Everytime its in its cage its pacing around and screaming at me to come out again to be on my shoulder. I know he's a baby and it might be very normal, but i just want to know he is happy when i'm out and that i'm doing everything i can to make him learn to be a little happier in there. I try to put him in at intervals, so he learns i wont keep him there forever and i positively reinforce him if he plays with a toy in there (for about 3 seconds).

Is there anything else i can do? I already tried food and putting in a happy hut, but those spark no interest up till now.

linda040899
09-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! :)

You said it all when you said you understand that Buddha is just a baby! Very much so and lovebirds are very social. Had he/she not come to live with you, he/she would have been cuddling with his parents and siblings so being with you fills in a void for now. Make no mistake about it. He will become a bit more independent but preference will always be hanging out with you.

Oh, yes! Lovebirds are very smart and you have a huge personality packed in to a small feathered package! :)