PDA

View Full Version : I need some help please :-)

Krysmo
09-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Hi all!

So I'm not really sure how this place works, I'm still figuring it out. But if anyone could help me, I'd be eternally grateful :-)

So I got my lovies about 3 weeks ago. I was told they were both boys. But after a few days, Krypton started pecking at Cosmo's feet and neck. I have separated them, but their cages are next to each other, so they can still interact. I'm not 100% sure they are both males, as when I asked the breeder how she knew, she told me she had felt their hips. I'm aware that the only way to know for sure is to have a DNA test. It's something I'm interested in, but am unable to afford at the moment.

So my first problem is this: I can't get them to eat anything other than seed. I've offered them a variety of fruit, vegetables, bread, rice, pasta etc. but they just won't eat it! How can I get them to eat other foods?

Also, they won't come near me. I spend ages sitting around their cages, talking to them, reading, singing to them. I whistle when they chirp at me. Krypton won't come near me, although, I suspect that has a bit more to do with him being moved cages. But even so, I want him to be able to come to me so I can allow him out of his cage to fly about my home. Cosmo will venture onto the perch I have my hand on, or he will climb around the cage and come to the closest point to me, but climb immediately away. I haven't chased them to get them out, as I don't want to ruin their trust. What else can I do? They're fine with my putting my hand in their cages, but it would be so nice to let them fly around.

Please help me!!

KiwiAndGuava
09-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Welcome! :) I'm pretty new here too, but when I got my birds they were also untamed. What really helped me earn their trust was putting regular seeds (they don't like millet, but maybe you could try some?) on my palm and keeping it flat so it was less threatening. I just left my hand in their cage and let them come when they were ready. After that, they learnt that my hand wasn't so bad after all! I won't give you any advice on food because I really don't know what I'm talking about :happy: I will let someone more experienced tell you, but just keep adding the same foods to their bowl so they recognise it as edible. Good luck!

linda040899
09-18-2015, 08:07 AM
I won't give you any advice on food because I really don't know what I'm talking about
Any and all suggestions are always welcome and we all learn from everyone, myself included! I've had lovebirds for a very long time and I'm always learning something from someone!! :)

Time, patience, kindness and lots of love will get you what you want. Parrots learn by experience and that takes time. You are looking for a trust relationship and once they view you as non-threatening, they will become quite social. Many just never like hands and you simply have to respect that. I have an African Grey who has lived with me since 1991 and she loves to interact with me. However, it's hands off! Pick her up (sometimes necessary) and you would think someone is killing her!

Krysmo
09-20-2015, 05:44 AM
Haha thanks! So how will I know when to try time out of their cage? They seem to be quite curious about me, whenever I sit by their cages and talk, they do watch me, so maybe I'm getting closer?

I'm trying the same foods, sp hopefully it wont be too long until they try some!

Thanks for the advice 😊

linda040899
09-20-2015, 08:05 PM
Once they are no longer afraid when you put your hand inside their cage, you can try leaving the cage door open and see what happens. Be prepared that if they are fully flighted, they will spread their wings and most likely take off. If you have other pets (cats, dogs) that they are don't have access to the area where your lovebirds are. If you have ceiling fans, turn them off. Doors closed, windows secured. They are familiar with the cage area but their cage is located in a larger cage, your home, and that's completely new territory. Expect the unexpected. Truthfully, if they are fully flighted, I would seriously consider doing a mini wing clip (first 3-5 flights on each wing), until they become familiar and can navigate outside of their cage. Those feathers will grow back and while they are clipped, it will keep them safer.

Krysmo
09-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Wonderful! I think we're getting there; we all had dinner together Las night. So if they're not coming to me, what's a sign that's they're no longer afraid of me? Will they stop fluttering around the cage when I put my hand in or something? I do think ill get their wings clipped; I do have particularly high ceilings. And, as I've now had to house them separately, should I keep their pit of cage time separate too? Sorry for all the questions!

linda040899
09-21-2015, 03:05 PM
One of the surest signs is they are not fluttering all over the cage when you put your hand in their home. Try attracting them with a millet treat offered on the palm of your hand. Bribery may just get you everywhere! :lol One of the things I find most endearing about lovies is their curiosity and socialness. Really tame ones will have to be into everything you are doing and share whatever food you have that they think they need to have. With lovebirds, if it's theirs, it's theirs. If it's yours, it's theirs as well!

Krysmo
09-22-2015, 03:43 AM
Oh right I see! One will climb about, but he comes to me, then away again. I think hes getting brave and checking me out, slowly. The other flutters a bit more think I will have to try this millet! Thanks for your help 😊

linda040899
09-22-2015, 08:18 AM
You're seeing the natural lovebird curiosity and eventually it wins out when it comes to a trust relationship. There is a lot of people who call themselves animal behaviorists and there are methods that sound good but are nothing but desensitization. You get the bird used to a behavior it fears instinctively and all that is is a band-aid. It takes time to earn their trust and once you do, it's a feeling like none other. :) Keep working with them. Like I said, bribery may get you everywhere!:happy:

Krysmo
09-22-2015, 04:05 PM
I hope so! Just want them to love me like I love them! Lol. Also (sorry, another question) when I do give them time out of their cage, is it best to do it in the room they will have to fly around? Or could I use a smaller room to begin with?

linda040899
09-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Use a small room so they can fly but not very far! It would be nice if they would come to you if you just sit and wait but that may take a few sessions. If you have to catch them, dimming the light in the room will be belpful. :)

Jules
11-02-2015, 09:14 AM
I hope so! Just want them to love me like I love them! Lol. Also (sorry, another question) when I do give them time out of their cage, is it best to do it in the room they will have to fly around? Or could I use a smaller room to begin with?

Once their out of the cage its difficult to get them back in without force. Ihave one that no matter how hungry he is he won't go back into his cage. Ive had to resort in grabbing him twice and I know that is a trust breaker, but what do you do when they won't go back in. Others tell me not to let them out until you teach them to step up inside their cage, but that can take months if not a year. And I can't not let them fly its what birds are about all about the flying right?

Jules