PDA

View Full Version : Not giving treats after stepping up?

KiwiAndGuava
10-19-2015, 05:22 AM
My birds are used to getting a treat every time thy do something, stepping up included. But I feel like most people don't give treats for stepping up because it's so basic. So should I try and stop giving them treats and save it for more advanced stuff? And how do I do it??
Thank you :)

linda040899
10-19-2015, 08:14 AM
Simply try excited praise for step up. Beak rubs are nice, too! Keep in mind, your parrot may be busy with something else and having a good time or just be tired and want to postpone visiting till later. This is quite acceptable and you need to respect what's going on. That' a win-win all the way around.

KiwiAndGuava
10-20-2015, 01:27 AM
Ok I will try that, thanks :) I haven't tried giving beak rubs before, they aren't really birds that like to be touched but I'll give it a try. Thank you!

linda040899
10-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Try the beak rubs with just one finger initially. Just stroke gently and very gently. The beak of a parrot is quite sensitive and once they realize it feels good and you mean no harm, it's a pleasant experience. Normally, I rub just the top beak between my thumb and index fingers.

Z28Taxman
10-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Try the beak rubs with just one finger initially. Just stroke gently and very gently. The beak of a parrot is quite sensitive and once they realize it feels good and you mean no harm, it's a pleasant experience. Normally, I rub just the top beak between my thumb and index fingers.

Ditto loves beak rubs. He'll sit for an hour for a good beak rub. He'd probably stay longer but my fingers get tired and he gets hungry. Sometimes, he'll grab a safflower seed, and eat it while getting a beak rub. He likes to multitask. :rofl: