PDA

View Full Version : Home from bird show

Mummieeva
11-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Well I was like a kid in the candy store. I did not buy any birds. But was not for lack of wanting.lol. Jacki I am sorry I did not get to meet you. I got there very late. My babysitter was not home like she was suppose to be. I looked for you but not sure if you were there when i was.lol. Even my husband who is not into birds had fun. Funny thing is he now wants a Sun conure(Dave the darkside would of killed you sure did me). I got things for both set of birds. Both got new swings and a perch each. Plus some very cool bird food. The best buy of all was lovebirds got a whole new cage. For under 100 dollars.I saw many birds I loved but want to wait. There is a small chance I might be going back tomorrow. My husbands grandmother wants a tiel and wants me to help her. I will be going to more bird shows. I got almost everything I wanted. I did not get a masked lovebird..lol. They had lovebirds but they were not weaned yet and I am not that brave. I also meant to buy new nest boxes for both set of birds(the one I have for Whisper and Baggy is gross). I will wait though for that. I got some tips on the feather plucking...lol i was told to get the blood one and do that. I had alot of fun and will be going to next one in December.It was nice to meet bird people in person. Sorry for the novel.lol

Steph

butterfly1061
11-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Steph,

I went a little later than planned due to my problem with Daisy, but I only needed supplies. I probably wasn't there over an hour. Actually, this show is VERY small compared to the other ones. I saw the lovebirds that weren't weaned and the *&@! breeder was selling that as fast as she could. Poor little babies, I hope they survive. One girl had bought one and it was a pied - very beautiful. I got my food & Poop Off and left. Had to get back home to check on Daisy. Glad you fun. :)

Janie
11-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Glad you had fun, Steph! :) There are some very UNcaring breeders at bird fairs so you have to be very careful. I can only imagine how many unweaned babies get sold and then die because the new owner wasn't prepared or didn't know how to feed them.

Jackie, I went to the Aviarium today and paid $11.95 for Poop Off wipes....wanna trade? :D I also bought the triangle "bong" swing which I didn't see at the last bird fair. Big Boi and Shy LOVE it! I think the only thing I need at the Dec. bird fair are more wipes and a couple of toys. But, just looking at the birds is fun, too! :)

Mummieeva
11-05-2005, 06:25 PM
I was there from around 2-4. I walked around 3 times before I bought anything. I saw a Boing and I am getting one at next bird show. Got 2 wood perches,2 swings,cuttlebone/millet holder,some clips for cage doors,and some food mix that has dried veggies and such.

I saw 2 breeders with lovebird babies. Handfed look so much smaller then Whisper did(nothing against handfeeding for those who do it was ment). They had a Baggy Twin also whe I was there. They said they were 6wks old and were being fed 3 times a day. I did meet one lady who had 2 lovebirds(one could of been Daisy;s twin) and they were 6-7 months old. She had them on pellets only though and was not sure about selling to me as my birds get seeds. Husband dragged me out after that casue he knew I was weak. I saw the "show " part also. SOme of those budgies were 3 times size of mine..lol. He has agreed to take me to one in Dec though. I never knew how low prices were. Next time I am going to buy more food though.

I will take a picture of new cage later...I have to build it first..lol. I hope it is right size too. it is sure bigger then currents one....and has a stand. :D

Steph- who is still bouncing off walls I had such a great time.

Mummieeva
11-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Janie, I made one breeder mad. She was telling a women how to handfed and said that only handfed birds are tame. I said "Excuss me mama but I have a 6 month old parent raised that is tame and have never bitten me" She started sputtering.lol. I have nothing against handfeeding if people are willing but do have it if the person is not being honest. She said it was easier then feeding a human baby. I was laughing.

Steph

butterfly1061
11-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Steph,

Some of the budgies in the "show" part were English Budgies. I would like to have one, but haven't found the color I want. I saw a few birds native to Australia and they were they most colorful and beautiful brds I have ever seen! :eek: Of course they had big ribbons on their cages. If you wait until December, you will have a MUCH BIGGER selection for toys, cages and such. There are a lot of vendors from Florida who come up, but only a couple were there today. I did get to see my "next" favorite bird - a Caique! The same breeder who had them at the last show had one left. I, of course, had to play with it - too much fun to miss out on. :happy:

Z28Taxman
11-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Did someone say Sun Conure? :eek:

Janie: Ditto loves his triangle swing, although I think sometimes he spends more time climbing on the chains than on the swing itself. :happy:

Mummieeva
11-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Yes Dave and my husband asked me if they were friendly birds. The one we saw was laying on it's back and just chilling.

Jackie I fell in love with an Alexandria(i think that is name). I stopped and stared forever. I saw a pair of White and purple budgies but they were allready sold.
I added pictures in photo section. Tell me if I got a good deal on a cage(and if it is big enough..lol)

Steph

Janie
11-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Dave, same here....those chain links are a huge attraction for them! I hated to buy that swing at a store but I did not see a single one at the last bird fair and that was a big fair. They had every kind of "budda" type perch except that one triangle swing.

Steph, I would have spoken up, too! :D Since I know that Oliver was parent raised and is the sweetest bird in the world (yes, Dave, he really IS!) he is proof positive that a bird does not have to be handfed to be completely tame. IMHO, the individual bird's personality has more to do with that than anything else. Some breeders will tell you anything to make a sale. That's what impressed me most about Rubygem....every thing she told me about her birds is what I'd already learned on this forum. Vet care, quarantine, etc. Like Linda, she wouldn't sell a bird to someone who she didn't think would give it proper care. :)

LauraO
11-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Steph: I would relish the fact that you set that breeder straight. I've even heard some people think they have to PERSONALLY handfeed the baby or it won't be tame :rolleyes:.

My Basil was parent raised by Won Ton and Babygirl. She's about 18 months old and is laying her first eggs. She is not only sweet and personable outside the box, but she is such a cute and sweet mamma. She's even sweeter than Babygirl and has not tried to bite me once when I've been messing around with her cage and box. It's too funny.

Z28Taxman
11-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Since I know that Oliver was parent raised and is the sweetest bird in the world (yes, Dave, he really IS!)

Ditto strongly disputes that remark!!!! :rofl:

I got the triangle swing from Dr's Foster and Smith, I've never seen it in the store around here.

Mummieeva
11-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Baggy and Whisper have a swing in their cage that is triangel shaped. It is rope with 2 beads and the perch is wood. I looked for one like this at fair to replace theirs but I saw the ring one and lvoed it. My husband was spoiling the birds more then me. I tried to get me to get a perch..cam not spell the name beinging with a M. It was a 10 dollar perch and as big as new cage..lol. I already have a list for next show.. I want another of the bendable perches for sure.Just need job for the money..lol.

Steph

Paulette
11-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Steph!!!.....I'm so glad you had fun at the bird fair/show. Cage prices are amazing. My hubby got me a stand with 4 breeder cages at the last fair for a great price. I can't even find these cages on the internet so cheap. I want a couple more sets so I can get everybirdie to utilize vertical space. And I'm enjoying the food cups on the front of the cages and the big front doors. You and Jackie will have to hook up at the next show. I'm already jealous. Glad the dark side didn't consume you. :D

Mummieeva
11-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Paulette, I saw those type of cages at the show also. Even had the stands on them. But I just did not care for them. Husband kept me from dark side But I have feeling if we ever hit the lotto he will be getting a Sun conure..lol. I plan to get bird next time. I almost came home with some more budgies...lol.

Steph