PDA

View Full Version : Still no petting!

HaleBoppPeachyluv
10-21-2015, 10:37 PM
I love my Nanas! We've had them for about a year now.... They are independent & cutesy lovies and I'm tickled to see them be all birdy lovey with each other. They have each other all day long while we're at school and at work and they are willing to stand on us and chirp when let out.

But I do miss having cuddly lovies.... anything I can do to make them more comfy with fingers on their heads & back?

linda040899
10-22-2015, 09:52 AM
I hear what you are saying about cuddly lovies! That's a hard one, but here's my best suggestion. Will they let you do beak rubs? If so, try slowly migrating just one finger, index finger is probably the best one, to the area right behind the beak on one side. Gently rub that area and see what kind of response you get. No guarantees come with this, as I never suggest desensitization because all that does is force them to eventually accept what they really don't like in the first place. :)

Sofi
11-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Ok, I am new here, and brand new lovie owner!
I think it's a he, but Kiki is only 80 days old. The breeder not very good one, gave me a bird who is not fully tamed(unlike some who teach they birds everything!) Kiki doesn't like to be held, petted or lay on its back. After a month having him(I hope is a he) now knows turn a round trick, recalls, long recalls, go thru tunnel, kiss on command, boomerang(I throw him and he comes back) do a flip and shake hands.
Now I'm doing lay on back, he doesn't like it but after doing 2 training sessions twice a day, he is now more willing to do so. Of course for treats(millet)
Now the subject- he will not let me pet him, but try to when the bird goes to sleep, and when you turn down the lights and then wait about 30min.
You go to the cage, open it, and slowly stroke the bird in dim lights. Maybe you can try giving them also a treat, but lights should be that you see the bird, but the bird barely sees you. And keep doing so every night, I can tell you I made progress for about a week doing so. He let me touch him today,I petted him for about 1,5 min and that was a miracle for me! He let me know he's done being petted by gently pressing my finger( but that was not a bite)
So we will see progress, as the time goes by, I will keep doing this because for me it's working.
Hope, it works for other parrot owners, and patience and persistence is the most important for us and for the benefit of our birds.

linda040899
11-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Some birds just don't like certain things and working to get them to accept what they don't like will produce tolerance but they still won't like it, just tolerate it. It's really best to accept their preferences and work with them on their level. I have an African Grey who has lived with me for over 25 years and to this day, she will interact with me but it's strictly hands off!