PDA

View Full Version : Beak Rubbing?

Mitori
11-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Thank you for all the great tips on the previous thread, I appreciate it! I've been spending g a little more time with my lovies, about an hour to two hours since the last 3 days. Recently, I've been bringing a notebook with me when I visit my lovies. I've been recording a few observations lately. Here's the list so far;

1. One has no toes on their right foot!! It's also the one that avoids me more than the other one, which has all the toes intact.
2. They come down to the branch that is level to my face an begin grooming whenever I come by!
3. They sometimes do a thing with each other where their beaks come together? I did some research about that, are they feeding each other? (their food bowl was full)
4. They usually rub their beaks on something after they're done eating?
5. They're very quiet most of the time. They only chirp a lot at dawn, and they're kind of like my alarm clocks.
6. They haven't touched the cuttlebone that I've left them in their cage.

Do these things mean anything about my birds and their personality? I can't seem to figure it out! I would love some explanations about these weird behaviors!

michael
11-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Thank you for all the great tips on the previous thread, I appreciate it! I've been spending g a little more time with my lovies, about an hour to two hours since the last 3 days. Recently, I've been bringing a notebook with me when I visit my lovies. I've been recording a few observations lately. Here's the list so far;

1. One has no toes on their right foot!! It's also the one that avoids me more than the other one, which has all the toes intact.

Unless you've observed toe biting behavior, I can only speculate on what caused the loss of toes. I doubt however, this places much influence on why the one missing them chooses to avoid you.

2. They come down to the branch that is level to my face an begin grooming whenever I come by!

Sounds like they now anticipate your presence. Good sign in that they're likely sizing you up to become flock mate material.

3. They sometimes do a thing with each other where their beaks come together? I did some research about that, are they feeding each other? (their food bowl was full)

Its not uncommon for lovebird mates to feed one another. Beak rubbing or feeding is a sign of affection.

4. They usually rub their beaks on something after they're done eating?

Tell me about it :x. You should see my laptop, shirts, and furniture after my lovebird finishes his favorite rice dish.

5. They're very quiet most of the time. They only chirp a lot at dawn, and they're kind of like my alarm clocks.

I'm sure some members here will envy you.

6. They haven't touched the cuttlebone that I've left them in their cage.

There are a few reasons why lovebirds might ignore their cuttlebone. Usually, like many other foods they may turn their snoot up at, is because they simply don't recognize it as being edible. Another reason may be the size or shape. Others may only become attracted to cuttlebone in the event they have a calcium deficiency.

:)