PDA

View Full Version : Ditto's routine will be followed, no matter what!

Z28Taxman
11-27-2015, 04:21 PM
If anyone needs proof that lovebirds will stick to their routine, just watch Ditto.

I filled his food dish when I uncovered the cage this morning, I slept late so he ate before I refilled it.

He hardly ate any of it and that was at 2pm. Well at 4:30 while I was getting ready to get his veggies, he hopped on the food dish with plenty of food in it. Looked at it then started his chirping dancing feed me routine!

Ok Ditto, I'll get right on it. Opened the cage, got the food dish out and gave him his veggies. He stood on top of the cage preening (he's going through a big moult).

Then I started on the avi-cakes/nutriberries. Took all of them out of the bowl, put 2 new berries in to replace the ones he ate and put the rest back in and zoom, there he was! He followed it back in the cage and has been face down in the bowl for the last hour.

michael
11-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Been awhile since he switched his taste in Nutriberries. ... :rolleyes:

Z28Taxman
11-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Well he's switched his preference lately. He's eating more avi-cakes again. Of course since I have plenty of nutriberries but running low on avi-cakes! :whistle:

Last night he decided to be an owl again. Around 1:30am I heard him climbing around in the cage then he started ringing his bell and called me.

He gets restless when his moult kicks in.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
11-30-2015, 10:35 AM
So silly!

My mom's lovie is like this... she's an "old lady" set in her ways.

linda040899
11-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Parrots seem to be creatures of habit! Even minor changes can be upsetting. I put up my Christmas tree yesterday and the parrots didn't know quite what to make of it! They haven't seen it since 2012, which was the last time I decorated my own tree. Well, I decided I'm feeling a bit more in holiday mode right now and my parrots sure did notice!!!

By the way, Nutriberries do quite well in the freezer! My larger parrots love them and I buy 2 3# bags at a time. I open one and store the other one in my freezer chest. :lol

Z28Taxman
11-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Nutriberries don't last long enough here to be frozen. :rotfl

This morning he was eating in the dark covered cage when I came down at 5:30am. He's still thinking he's an owl.

linda040899
11-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Actually, it could be instinct. In the wild, birds begin foraging for food just before sunrise. When I'm hand feeding, first meal of the day is 6:00 am.

I keep my Nutriberries in the freezer so they don't all disappear in one meal! :rofl: