PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone successfully tamed a pair of lovies?

Leanne
12-04-2015, 07:16 AM
I've just brought home my babies, Peaches and Pickle. I was told by the shop that they are between 6 months to a year and parent reared. They behave as tho they have had no human contact and although they are happy for me to be close to the cage, they don't like it when I put hands in to change food and water and they won't come close if I hold millet up to the bars. They are happy to fly around when I let them out, but didn't go back in until the next morning when I brought fresh water and food.
My plan is to spend lots of time close to them and talk to them, continue to hold millet up to the bars and hopefully they will come over for a try. Once they are eating from my hand through the bars I think I'll then try and open the door and hold the food just outside until they are comfortable with that.
Then I'm thinking I'll try further inside the cage and perhaps offer them some when they are outside the cage.
When they are happy with taking treats any time any place, I'll then turn my hand slightly and try any get them to step onto my hand or land on my hand to get the treat.
When they are happy with being on my hand i will try the proper step up training with a pointed finger.

I'm really keen to know if anyone has managed to do this successfully with what are effectively wild birds?? I've only had hand fed babies before that have had no fear of hands!!

Also does my plan sound right and how long will it likely take?
Any advice would be hugely apreciated. I know I've taken on a big challenge but I'm pretty patient but would love to hear some success stories to keep me motivated 😊

Also I've heard that maybe taking food out of the cage a few hours before letting them out makes it easier to get them back in when you refill the food dish. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance, Leanne

linda040899
12-04-2015, 08:31 AM
It's very possible to tame/form a trust relationship with a parent raised, non-human socialized lovebird! They know they are birds. Now they are learning how to interact with humans and it sounds like you are making progress. :) It just takes time, patience, lots of love and attention, attention and more attention! Remember that lovebirds are curious by nature and seem to notice anything and everything. If you "wear" something on your person that catches their interest, it will attract them and they will have to check it out. If you eat by their cage, you will notice that they will usually eat, as well. They are social, even when there's more than one.

As for taking them out of their cage right now, it may not be a good idea, as getting them back in could be problematic. I don't know how you feel about what I call mini wing clips (3-5 flights on each wing) but that will allow you to let them out and they should be easier to retrieve to put back. Mini wing clips allow flight, just not height. If they step up onto a perch, they should do that outside of the cage, as well. This is just a suggestion with an explanation. Wing clips are strictly owner choice in this community and we respect that. :)

Leanne
12-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks Linda, that's very reassuring. I'm not sure about the wing clips at the moment, I've been advised to take food out of the cage for 2 hours before letting them out and then bring fresh food and treats to entice them back in on their own. Do you think that would work?

linda040899
12-04-2015, 03:21 PM
I really can't say that taking away food and then returning it as an enticement would or would not work. My larger parrots will return to their cages on command, as they've been trained to do so but they can also be stubborn, too!

Clipping flight feathers is not hard but not everyone is comfortable doing it. Basically, you spread one wing at a time and follow the line of the top covering feathers of the wing and clip 4-5 of the longer primaries. If you see one that is just growing in and has that white, waxy covering around a new feather, skip that one and take the ones you had planned to take. Some pet shops or breeders can do it for you but make sure they do both wings, not just one, and make sure they do what you want. If you are not comfortable with any of what I've said, you can try the food suggestion and see what happens.

Leanne
12-04-2015, 03:38 PM
That's certainly something to think about thank you 😊

KiwiAndGuava
12-06-2015, 03:05 AM
I got my lovies when they were a bit younger than yours, but they were also completely parent raised. They are, well I wouldn't call it tame (are lovies ever really tame :rotfl) but they aren't afraid of me and will step up and sit on my shoulder for a kiss :) They are still not really convinced about scritches, and I don't think they ever will be. But it is absolutely possible! Good luck :)

Leanne
12-07-2015, 09:01 AM
That's great to hear, they are enjoying flying around my living room and are happy to land on the floor and the sofa but won't come near me just yet. Peaches the female, will step up onto a wooden dowl when I hold it inside the cage but hates my hand inside the cage. They also won't come and take treats from my hand through the bars yet but I'll keep at it. I can't wait to have them come and sit on my shoulder 😀

linda040899
12-07-2015, 09:38 AM
You are definitely on the right track! What you are experiencing is totally normal and there are no short cuts to earning their trust. You've made remarkable progress! You may find that your hand is not welcome inside their cage, as that's their home and they are protecting their territory. Think about how you would react if a stranger or something strange just came into where you live and you can see it from their perspective. :)