PDA

View Full Version : Oh my Gosh!!

brenda48
12-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Hi:

I just got my DNA results back for my 3rd lovie which I thought was a female. (I already have 2 females that have bonded).

My DNA results show this is a male!! I had no plans on breeding. My 2 females started to fight a little when the new one arrived, so I just separated them last night.

Is it ok to keep them all separated?

I am a little shocked at the results. Every bird I bought I was given the wrong sex.

linda040899
12-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Talk about surprises! With Peachfaced Lovebirds, the only way to determine gender is by DNA sexing or if you find a unsexed female has laid an egg! Your current one sexed out as a male and that may or may not be true. If you did blood sexing, a contaminated sample will return male even if the bird is actually a hen. Birds sexed as females is accurate but there's a chance that the test could be inaccurate. If you did feather sexing, the test is spot on.

The reaction of your 2 hens may be an indicator that you really do have a male. Keeping them separated is the only way to make sure there are not little ones in the making. Depending on how everyone interacts with everyone, it may be OK to allow them playtime together but it would have to be under strict supervision.

brenda48
12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
All 3 have playtime out together right now under supervision.

I am concerned about the separating of the 2 bonded females. One of them was getting very possessive inside the cage. Outside the cage she is a sweety. Also not wanting her mate in interact with the new one.

They have only been bonded for a month.

linda040899
12-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Being cage territorial is very common with female lovebirds! Keeping them together if one is aggressive and the other is submissive is an equation for trouble. The dominant one can very easily severely injure or kill the other one. Outside of the cages should be OK but I think you may have to separate the two females.