PDA

View Full Version : Update on taming progress...

Mitori
12-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Hello, it's me again for a little update. My birds have gotten to trust me a LOT more! They let me put my finger near them while they eat if I approach (extremely) slowly. Here's a pic!

http://i.imgur.com/onQvmjO.jpg

However, this is where I need help. I thought they were about ready to try other things because they weren't as fidgety about my hand anymore, but this is where the problem is. Whenever I lift a certain cage door (the most conveniently placed one for sticking my hand in), they fly away! Whenever I lift up the cage door at the bottom, where I give them their food, they are a little less nervous, but nevertheless, still scared. Is it because there is something coming into their territory that isn't food? I've been able to put my hand near them outside the cage for about a week now. Perhaps they need more time?

michael
12-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Hello, it's me again for a little update. My birds have gotten to trust me a LOT more! They let me put my finger near them while they eat if I approach (extremely) slowly.....[snip]
.....However, this is where I need help. I thought they were about ready to try other things because they weren't as fidgety about my hand anymore, but this is where the problem is. Whenever I lift a certain cage door (the most conveniently placed one for sticking my hand in), they fly away! Whenever I lift up the cage door at the bottom, where I give them their food, they are a little less nervous, but nevertheless, still scared. Is it because there is something coming into their territory that isn't food? I've been able to put my hand near them outside the cage for about a week now. Perhaps they need more time?

That is quite some progress! And yes, because their cage is considered their safety zone, they have every reason to feel scared or rather "cage dominant". I would definitely give them plenty more time. The more they come to trust you, the more likely it is you'll be accepted as part of their flock. Have you encouraged them to come out of their cage or "step up"? ... Thanks for sharing. .... :)