PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with taming wild lovebirds?

Poppy'n'Peach
01-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Hi, I've just adopted two unwanted lovebirds. I've had them just over a week. I was told they are a pair and am guessing the "13" on their leg rings means they are a couple of years old. They came with some seed mix, and I've added some "fruit cocktail" that seems to include dried fruit and some kind of pellets, while I try and persuade them to eat some fresh fruit/veggies.
They seem pretty wild (fly to the far end and shout in alarm if I put my hand into the cage) and I'm not sure how much I can hope to tame them? So far I've managed to get them to take millet from me while they are on the perch at the far end of their cage (not exactly from my hand, the sprig of millet is a few inches long and they won't take it unless I hold it a couple of inches away from the end.) What else should I be doing?

linda040899
01-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Kudos to you for taking these 2 lovies! Lovebirds have a lot of character and personality and, while I have other parrots, I will always have a lovebird in my flock!

Time, patience, kindness and a lot of love will get you what you want. They are in a new home and birds learn by experience that you mean them no harm. Being "prey" in the wild, they don't know for sure if they will be your next meal! Think about how you feel in an unfamiliar place and you can understand how they feel.

Lovebirds are not usually big fruit eaters, although some love it! Try being around them as much as you can, and even try to eat next to their cage. Lovebirds are naturally curious and it won't take long for them to want to see what you are doing. Talk to them and keep offering millet. Respect their territory and take it slowly.

idiotwind
01-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you are doing all the right things as Linda says. Keep being there, being non threatening and talking to them and offering food. I remember how excited I was to first get our birds to take a piece of kale from my fingers. Millet is good both because they love it and there is an inherent buffer between food and fingers.
Be realistic about what you can expect - if truly non tamed and 3 years old I think it is unlikely you will ever have them doing tricks and letting you stroke them but with love and patience you should be able to develop a strong bond and have them comfortable enough to sit on your hand, sing to you and take seeds from your fingers.
Good luck.

Poppy'n'Peach
01-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Hi, thanks. I seem to be making some progress, initially they would only take the millet with me holding the far end of the sprig but I kept inching my hand up and today one of them was taking the millet even with me holding the tip of the sprig so that I touched his beak every time he had a nibble. Then he had a little taste of my finger (no nipping, just touching and licking) He did this a few times while I was feeding him. The other one is not ready to be quite so familiar and scolded him for it! I really have no idea of their history so don't know how wild or tame they've been in the past but they certainly behaved wild when we first got them!

They've been enjoying some apple slices I hung up for them with bits of wood and cardboard on a chain. Should I limit the amount of fresh apple as it seems like they'll eat a lot if I let them?!

linda040899
01-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Sounds like they are beginning to accept your presence, which is a good thing. Trust is earned and time can be different with each parrot.

Simply because of the pesticides used in orchards, I would try and stick with organic if possible. Apple seeds are a no-no because they contain cyanide. Bribery will get you everywhere with a parrot that likes being fed! :)

Poppy'n'Peach
01-11-2016, 05:58 PM
No pesticides in our orchard:) The apples come from the tree behind my house. Personally, I don't believe "organic" pesticides are much safer than the rest, "organic" fruit is grown with pesticides, just an approved list, or they'd end up with ugly, scabby fruit like ours! Or that's how it is in the UK, mostly a big scam :roll:
I tried strips of carrot. They don't seem to be into that yet, but the apple is a big hit.
Both birds are feeding from my fingers today, and gently "tasting" my finger, although still wary, but they'll follow my hand all over the cage if I'm holding millet! I may start trying to get them to step up onto a perch tomorrow.

linda040899
01-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Great news!!!! Food is a wonderful incentive! It really sounds like you will have 2 tame velcro lovies in the near future! There are bird behaviorists who offer all sorts of information on how to tame parrots but the only way is to let them learn to trust you and come to you. :)

Poppy'n'Peach
01-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Progress today:)
I've been feeding them millet by hand or a few days and they don't mind if I touch their beaks while they feed now. Yesterday I tried introducing a wooden spoon, offering them the handle as a perch, but they weren't impressed and moved away if it approached them.. However I persisted today and now they will step onto the perch and let me move it around the cage while they munch. Not exactly "step-up" but I position things so that they have to step onto the mobile perch to reach the millet. Peachy (f?) really got into this and kept going back to the swing (from where I had picked her up) for another go. I tried with the millet held upright in my fist and my index finger as the "perch" but this was a step too far and she wasn't having any of it.
They're still not too keen to take treats from my finger tips so I need to keep working on that so that I can reward them properly for stepping up to order, so far it's just step-on to get the treat. I do say "up, up" just to get the association going.