PDA

View Full Version : My lovebird Dusty Ill. He's at the vets now

AlovebirdMom
02-03-2016, 10:03 AM
HI

I havent been here for a while. Im mom to Princesse, Paulie and Dusty.He's a black mask with blue body.

All have been well but last night Dusty started to act strange after dark. He usually sleeps in his hut but last night crawled to the bottom of his cage and looked awful. We opened it and he flew out then when on the floor, didnt seem able to walk.

I took him to the emergency vet last night right when I noticed it --she also was worried. He's to have blood tests this morning. (Do they usually have to put a bird under for that? I know when princesse has blood drawn she's never out under.

My first thought was zinc or metal illness but there has been no symptoms. He's been as active as ever. (Always flying out of his cage for what I called Birdie time.) and ate well even yesterday.

The vet put him in incubator for the avian vet to see him this morning and draw blood. Does zinc illness come on in 3 hours? He was fine at 6 pm and ill by 9.
He looked droopy, his wing loose at sides and he showed no activity--nor did he bite when being held which he ALWAYS does.I expected him to die any minute.
I just called and they said he is moving about this morning--which he wasnt doing last night.

Does it sound like zinc? I checked his cage and saw no sign of loose paint or anything. His bells.latches are stainless.

He is 13 yrs old.

Ellen